Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:50 PM

Hands off our Apple Pies !

Without any intention of insulting our American friends on here,

HANDS OFF OUR APPLE PIE !!!!

I was watching an American cookery programme this afternoon when one of the ladies on there actually had the temerity to say “Think of Apple Pie and one automatically thinks of America, if we didn’t have our national symbol already, then Apple Pie would be the top contender !

BLOOMIN CHEEK !

Just for the record, Apple Pie originated here in England. It was first mentioned by Chaucer in 1381. Dutch Pies were invented in England in the 1600’s.

I know the famous sayings ….”.As American as Apple Pie” and when the US troops were asked why they had joined up to fight in World War II the reply was always “For Mom and Apple Pie”.

But it’s not American, You can’t have it because it’s our invention !!

Just for the record, Bramley Apples belong to us too. The first Bramley’s were grown by Mrs Brailsford in Nottingham in 1809.

So there !
Feel better now I’ve got that off my chest ! Get fed up when other countries claim our glory.

Don't you?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Re: Hands off our Apple Pies !

Didn't know that Mary, I automatically think Apple Pie=USA. You learn something new everyday.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Calm down gal - I associate apple pies with both countries
Seen too many American movies where apple pies feature
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:58 PM

How very dare they. You tell em SG. Non of this American Ma's apple pie nonsense when this recipe can be found in the English A proper newe Booke of Cookrye
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Wish I hadn't read this thread.....now I want an apple pie
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I was thinking the same thing - lovely yummy
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:32 PM

I know how you feel, straight after watching that programme I watched the Hairy Bikers make a traditional ENGLISH apple pie with Bramley apples, When it was taken out of the oven, the pie was so deep, so full of sliced apples with the most gorgeous golden sweet pastry they had to use a giant spatula to cut and pick the first slice out, they then placed it into a dish and proceeded to pour single cream slowly over it. I was eating a digestive biscuit with my cuppa at the time and felt right cheated !!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:38 PM

It won't be as nice as ours! Have you tasted their apple sauce, cheese, ketchup or tea? Don't get me started on the gravy!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
With true Devonshire cream, or maybe ice cream
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I know how you feel, straight after watching that programme I watched the Hairy Bikers make a traditional ENGLISH apple pie with Bramley apples, When it was taken out of the oven, the pie was so deep, so full of sliced apples with the most gorgeous golden sweet pastry they had to use a giant spatula to cut and pick the first slice out, they then placed it into a dish and proceeded to pour single cream slowly over it. I was eating a digestive biscuit with my cuppa at the time and felt right cheated !!
I was actually salivating reading that...and then I read the bit about single cream! Nooooooo...for me, apple pie means custard.. . Heaven
Can't remember when I last had apple pie and custard. If anyone one wants to make me one.....leave it covered on the back door step and I'll pick it up later

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top