Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 03:34 AM

Food shopping: Do you check nutritional content?

On food products, by law there are daily recommended guidelines for a healthy diet. These are printed on all packaged food items and are there to remind us of what goes into the product and how it may affect our health.

Do these guidelines make any difference to what you buy food-wise, or do you take no notice?
Do you check similar products for healthier options instead?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 04:57 AM

Re: Food shopping: Do you check nutritional content?

I check calories but not much else. Im not really that clever when it comes to anything other than calories.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I check calories but not much else. Im not really that clever when it comes to anything other than calories.
Calorific content is the main thing when it comes to diet.
It's always best to look at the other things too though with so many manufacturer's additives. Fat, sugar and salt content etc.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:29 AM

Hi

I had a massive Heart Attack and woke up on my 50th Birthday after a Quadruple Heart Bypass.

The day before the attack I was in the Gym, Bench Pressing 140 kilos.

I have a class reaction to Statins, so cannot take any.

I check everything for Saturated Fats and Salt.

I live very healthily six days a week, then have a splurge.

I no longer have big biceps, I limit my lifting, on Medical Advice, to 40 kilos.

This is partly due to previous injuries.

I still lead a good life, I still go trekking in the Jungles, I still exercise.

It is no great shakes, I hide it well.

Such is life, you adapt and make the most of it.

I will never run again,that went out of the window in 1989,courtesy of Terrorists.

I will never catch a World Record Marlin, I no longer have the upper body strength to do that.

You adapt and still have a good life.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-03-2018, 06:31 AM

We adapt and live within our means and capabilities, Swims.
I get that completely bud
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 07:34 AM

Fresh meat and veg don’t come with those labels and that’s what I tend to buy

Don’t buy ready meals, the only processed stuff is things like condiments and baked beans, pasta, tinned beans and bread

I do buy sausages , high meat content. Served rarely and I only manage one so I’m not fussed about the fats/salt/sugar content

Been a scratch cook for so long now I can’t stomach ready meals even if they look so tempting. Rarely get take out either because once again the salt and fat content is so high we both suffer the following day
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 07:36 AM

I only read the Carbs/Sugar contents because of my Diabetes, otherwise No, because I buy the same food every week so I know what i'm getting.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 07:43 AM

I try to eat as much fruit and veg as possible and of course they don't have those labels. It is very difficult to see the labels of prepared foods in the shops.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 07:52 AM

I always check for salt content now .
It's amazing how much salt is in everything .
I make home made salt free soup for Mr M.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 10:20 AM

No, would take me all day if I were doing a weekly shop - tbh we eat healthily, I always cook from scratch, we don't eat processed foods much if at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top