Join for free
Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Re: My Mups

Mups, At least you are able to eliminate most of the worst ailments that Mups could have.

I was amazed at the price of the test you are getting done on Mups’s poo samples, l thought, it would be in the hundreds.

At least, you are making progress now and that must be a bit of a relief.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Yes Art, I am very pleased about the poo test price too, and as I said, if I take it to the lab myself, she will work on it Saturday, what a smashing lady.

I don't want to upset my vet, but I would rather test and find out exactly what (if anything) she needs, than just give routine stuff and hope for the best.

So far at the vets I have spent £303, and we still don't know what is wrong - only what is NOT wrong. So for an extra £28 it is worth doing.

Thinking of you and your little man, as you know. x
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Well done on getting that poo testing done. I had my dogs poo tested for Campylobacter and Giardia and it was a similar thing, 3 samples etc. Sure it cost well over £100 doing it through the vet

Glad little Mups is feeling better anyway.
Wow! I can't believe the difference in price.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mups that is something positive.

Dogs with lungworm usually have a persistent cough .
One of our bitches Emma had leukaemia and it was very noticeable something was wrong , she was very lethargic

Hopefully, the next round of vet tests will eliminate anything serious .

Meg,
I did some swatting up on lungworm, and it all said same as you about the persistent coughing. Mini mups doesn't cough at all, and this is another reason I was reluctant to dose her for it without being sure she had it.

I do agree with my vet that it could easily happen because of her compost eating habit, she could easily pick up a slug or snail with the soil, but I want to be as sure as I can be first.

As for your dog that had the Leukaemia, was it only so noticeable in the latter stages can you remember?

If all else fails, I will maybe explore mineral deficiencies.

One last thought though. A sudden thought came to me last night.
When the first lot of blood was taken - and that was the lot with the worst results, then the next lot was taken with slightly better results. How come?
My brain suddenly pondered whether those first results could have been influenced by the blood loss from having just ripped that claw off an hour previously.

What do you think of that? Do you reckon that could be possible or shouldn't that have made any difference?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow! I can't believe the difference in price.
I'm not saying all vets are rip off merchants but this is one way they make money.

That, and convincing you your animal "needs" x amount of treatments.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Yes, I think that can often be true with some vets Nicol.

I like to think not in this case, as I trust my chap, but I have heard many tales of what I call "the Till fillers."

Having said that, I never buy routine wormers or flea treatments from my practice as their mark up is ridiculous. Also, if any of mine have needed repeat prescriptions he has always offered me a prescription which I can take to a place of my choice and avoid their silly mark-ups. I buy online from a reputable pharmacy.

I emailed him yesterday and explained/confessed, I had organised these poo tests elsewhere. He replied with a very nice email giving me a link to read explaining more about certain worms. He wasn't cross with me at all.
He sent that email at 10.10pm last night. That man never seems to stop working.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 10:53 AM

I think you're quite lucky with your vet Mups.

My practice is sort of medium size, they have 2 surgeries in this area. They employ a lot of vets. I think it depends on who you see as regards the service you get. The older vets are more "wait and see" rather than expensive tests but the younger ones are more likely to recommend what I consider unnecessary tests and procedures.

My dog (Bailie) has a repetitive strain injury on her front left leg. Last October I took her to the vets because the usual treatment of rest etc hadn't cleared it up like it usually does. I saw a young vet who immediately wanted to x-ray it to check for arthritis and to put her on expensive painkillers. I refused the treatment as I knew damn well it wasn't arthritis and instead I restricted her walks to 2 x 30 minutes a day and closely monitored anything she did that could possibly be aggravating it. I cut all those activities out (simple things like not letting her jump off the sofa and stopping her from going up steep hills), it took 3 months but the limp stopped. And it hasn't come back because I'm now more aware of what triggers it.

So instead of having her on long term painkillers which would probably have caused some kind of organ damage (and would be costing a fortune) I worked out a long term solution, which is better all round.

I wish more vets were like yours, some of them seem overly eager to dish out the meds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-06-2018, 11:42 AM

Glad you have been able to help Bailie, Nicol.
I don't even know your dog of course, but I think personally, I would have let them x-ray just to be sure he hadn't got a small fracture or injury that was aggravated by exercise, but you know your dog better than anyone else.

Yes I am lucky with my vet. Another thing important to me is, their emergency out-of-hours procedure.
My practice does not ship out-of -hours calls out to another surgery, they do 24/7 emergencies themselves on a rota, so you always see someone from your own practice, who has all your notes.

More and more vets now seem to send you sometimes miles away, to a vet you don't know and who doesn't know your animal from Adam. I would not like that.
Nicol
South east of England

01-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Glad you have been able to help Bailie, Nicol.
I don't even know your dog of course, but I think personally, I would have let them x-ray just to be sure he hadn't got a small fracture or injury that was aggravated by exercise, but you know your dog better than anyone else.

Yes I am lucky with my vet. Another thing important to me is, their emergency out-of-hours procedure.
My practice does not ship out-of -hours calls out to another surgery, they do 24/7 emergencies themselves on a rota, so you always see someone from your own practice, who has all your notes.

More and more vets now seem to send you sometimes miles away, to a vet you don't know and who doesn't know your animal from Adam. I would not like that.
Mups, if Bailie hadn't improved I would have had the x-ray done, but the vet was pretty convinced there was no break or fracture, all she was interested in was getting her x-rayed for arthritis, and getting her on these expensive painkillers.

And out of hours vets, yes, if they don't know your animal it's as bad as seeing a locum Doctor who doesn't bother reading your notes. The last time I used the emergency service was on a Sunday and one of the partners opened the surgery for us, which I thought was good. I've since found out that now, due to demand, they have a Sunday surgery. And because there are 2 separate surgeries they have cover til 10pm every night.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Meg,
I did some swatting up on lungworm, and it all said same as you about the persistent coughing. Mini mups doesn't cough at all, and this is another reason I was reluctant to dose her for it without being sure she had it.

I do agree with my vet that it could easily happen because of her compost eating habit, she could easily pick up a slug or snail with the soil, but I want to be as sure as I can be first.
Hi Mups yes I agree but I surprised there aren't more symptoms.
How long has little Mups had Pica, is it a recent thing.

As for your dog that had the Leukaemia, was it only so noticeable in the latter stages can you remember?
It was years ago but I remember it like yesterday
Emma was one of our young champion bitches, she was due a litter of which we had high hopes. We were stunned when she produced just one very large puppy. It was a few months after this that Emma became lethargic and not her bright little self and was diagnosed with leukaemia. We wondered afterwards if there was some connection between her odd litter and her silent developing condition. There was no treatment at that time and as she rapidly lost weight and became more ill we had to let her go Emma remains the most perfect Mini I ever saw...

One last thought though. A sudden thought came to me last night.
When the first lot of blood was taken - and that was the lot with the worst results, then the next lot was taken with slightly better results. How come?
My brain suddenly pondered whether those first results could have been influenced by the blood loss from having just ripped that claw off an hour previously.

What do you think of that? Do you reckon that could be possible or shouldn't that have made any difference?
I don't know Mups, maybe and in a number of ways.

I hope you can find the cause of the problem and treat it but if little Mups is fit and well in every other way eg gums not pale/lots of energy/ eating well try not to worry if you can't find the cause.

Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top