Join for free
Page 22 of 24 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 >
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

You're a nutter BC ...Anyway I personally don't have a problem with People smoking outdoors.My Own Son smokes,and when He visits Me for any length of time,He smokes out in the garden...He lives in a top floor flat and smokes out on His balcony..there's no point in Me nagging Him to stop as He just doesn't want to,He says it doesn't affect anyone but Him.and I still love Him..so there
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by May ->
Shouldn't that be Smoke Busters?

If Ya see Someone smokin'

In Your neighbourhood

Who're Ya gonna call

SMOKE BUSTERS
Haha
That’s cute!
My husband smoked ciggies for 25 years.
Gotta admit that I don’t like the smell of them but he did finally quit. Now he uses a vape but with zero nicotine. He just likes the flavoured stuff available now.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Fancy picking on Smokers who Smoke outdoors, you wouldn't get yer breath.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I would like everybody to stop smoking, but it should be their choice

If passive smoke is such a danger then the government should have put a total ban on cigarettes, so why didn't they? It is probably because they didn't want to loose the tax income from the sale of cigarettes!

I appreciate that smoking has considerably reduced, by making them smoke outside, but do we really need to make smokers feel like Lepers ?
It's not Twink, it was the governments way of making smokers public enemy number one. Publicise the fact that smokers are not just putting themselves in danger, but everyone around them. And chuck in children for good measure....That ought to do it! And it did.....Just read the animosity to smokers on this thread alone....

In small spaces, transport and rooms in a house or public place, there would be a small risk to the health of non-smokers if they were subject to the smoky atmosphere over the long term. But how many non-smokers would hang about long enough to inhale dangerous amounts, barring in mind that most smokers do not experience problems until later in life, if at all. And they are getting the full whammy with every puff.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Foxy is right Imo, some folks just don't like to see other folks enjoying themselves.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Foxy is right Imo, some folks just don't like to see other folks enjoying themselves.
I agree with foxy too. As I said in an earlier post, its quite rare to see a non smoker suffer lung disease or problems.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Too right Spitty......Jealousy is what it is....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
[/B]

I'm a non smoker too although ex smoker, while I don't particularly like the smell anymore I don't mind if someone wants to smoke, why would i want to take something away from them that they find pleasurable or relaxing. Some non smokers react way too harshly over smokers. As has been said many times in this thread, we breath in toxic fumes every day from transport yet no one gets angry about that.
I'm an ex smoker too and I used to love smoking but then found I was so addicted it took many attempts to give up. I had to in the end because I could feel it making me ill. Ended up with sinusitis and chest infections ect for two years after giving up. I couldn't bear to be near cigarette smoke for years as it would irritate my airways.

So I was really happy when they banned it in public places because that has really helped me recover. I have friends who also cannot bear to be near anyone smoking outside because of their health problems.

I am not too bad now, but was in a beach restaurant on holiday recently and someone was smoking at the next table. It was pretty grim sitting there breathing it in. I don't see why I should have to be trapped like that (or why I should have to go elsewhere) so I am glad I don't have to in the UK.

I don't mind vaping so much although I don't like any chemical smells since giving up smoking and it does smell a bit weird (as in unhealthy weird). I avoid room freshener and all that unless it's a reed oil diffuser. I reckon we will find out at some point that vaping is not so good for you.

So I think it's ok for people who have healthy lungs to be tolerant but there are a lot of us who have to be careful and for us the smoking ban is welcome.

They are trying to cut down on other air pollution by moving
to electric cars etc. I think bonfires should only be allowed in the winter and autumn months after a certain hour. Some people have started them in the middle of the day recently and again with the hot weather it's no fun to try to breathe.

I do worry about getting COPD when I am older. Anyone who has smoked is at risk. So I welcome any changes to improve our air quality. Of course any change is going to be hated by those who have to change their behaviour and that's perfectly understandable. But I think it's great that smoking is no longer trendy. I do believe my friends and I were conned and none of us smoke these days. Money up in smoke?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm an ex smoker too and I used to love smoking but then found I was so addicted it took many attempts to give up. I had to in the end because I could feel it making me ill. Ended up with sinusitis and chest infections ect for two years after giving up. I couldn't bear to be near cigarette smoke for years as it would irritate my airways.

So I was really happy when they banned it in public places because that has really helped me recover. I have friends who also cannot bear to be near anyone smoking outside because of their health problems.

I am not too bad now, but was in a beach restaurant on holiday recently and someone was smoking at the next table. It was pretty grim sitting there breathing it in. I don't see why I should have to be trapped like that (or why I should have to go elsewhere) so I am glad I don't have to in the UK.

I don't mind vaping so much although I don't like any chemical smells since giving up smoking and it does smell a bit weird (as in unhealthy weird). I avoid room freshener and all that unless it's a reed oil diffuser. I reckon we will find out at some point that vaping is not so good for you.

So I think it's ok for people who have healthy lungs to be tolerant but there are a lot of us who have to be careful and for us the smoking ban is welcome.

They are trying to cut down on other air pollution by moving
to electric cars etc. I think bonfires should only be allowed in the winter and autumn months after a certain hour. Some people have started them in the middle of the day recently and again with the hot weather it's no fun to try to breathe.

I do worry about getting COPD when I am older. Anyone who has smoked is at risk. So I welcome any changes to improve our air quality. Of course any change is going to be hated by those who have to change their behaviour and that's perfectly understandable. But I think it's great that smoking is no longer trendy. I do believe my friends and I were conned and none of us smoke these days. Money up in smoke?
I developed COPD Annie even though I quit 10 years ago, I was diagnosed at the beginning of the year. I still don't feel I want to make smokers feel bad or take away their enjoyment, I just don't want to be in close proximity of smokers myself and if someone is smoking I distance myself. Smoking is becoming less and less common which is a good thing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I agree with foxy too. As I said in an earlier post, its quite rare to see a non smoker suffer lung disease or problems.
It's not not that rare LQ a friends wife died she had never smoked he was a chain smoker .
Lung cancer in the US has overtaken breast cancer as the leading cause of cancer in women.
There are about 7000 deaths from lung cancer pa due to secondhand smoke .
Not all lung cancers are caused by smoking but it certainly is known to to be the major one .

Page 22 of 24 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top