Join for free
Page 489 of 1676 « First < 389 439 479 487 488 489 490 491 499 539 589 989 1489 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
travel broadens the mind - you meet more broads when you travel but if you wanna be bossed about by one woman all ya life go for it - we'll just sit and watch!!
Who is watching who comes to mind?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I’m afraid I’m not a one for the travels at all, never got any further than Britain, and all around this island, I’ve been a home bird all me life.

That shrove is an old word so lets hope that RJ and Spitty don't give it short shrift and can do it the justice it deserves Jem.

I was fortunate to start travelling when it was still an unworldly world, and mostly safe for the lone traveler providing you adhered to a countries customs and ways and avoiding saying "Parlez vous fish and chips oh" loudly at any native you happened to meet. Always a dead give away that you were a Brit abroad for the first time who rightly deserved being ignored..

Cruise ships with their masses that swarm ashore for the odd hour or two so they can say they went to a certain popular spot just isn't travelling. It's more like collecting place names not to mention the damage done.

Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 06:02 PM

I have been marvelling at all the spelling versions of Mr A.Mc
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 06:15 PM

As a spotty pre-pubescent schoolboy, I watched the Guns of Navarone during an evening film club.
The projector and screen was set up sideways on the school stage with the blackout curtains drawn, and we all cheered along to a jolly good rumbustious film.

There was a sequel called Force Ten from Navarone, but I don't think it was ever made into a film. If it was so these days, it would probably have been called The Guns of Navartwo.

I have never found the need to be shriven, and nobody in my family has ever tried to make me shrive. There are enough things on my list of "I've had an idea dear" to act as an act of penance without adding anything else.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 06:52 PM

Them who want broad fat minds is welcome to them, but when all is said and done there’s no place like home.
I watch a lot of 1930’s films on youtube, nearly all of them are remastered and look so clear on the screen. The 30’s is my favourite decade although I wasn’t even born then, In my opinion British cinema was on a roll then and who knows what classics we would have had if the war hadn’t put a stop to it all. Another reason I love looking at 30’s stuff is there’s not an atom of plastic in sight.
When I’m looking at these old films it’s hard to imagine that everyone in the films are now all dead, bright young things dancing about, charming well dressed young men with early BBC radio newsreaders accents, all so very much alive and kicking.
I heard a chap say in an oldie I watched last night “What the blazes is that?” I got a bit of a start, “Blazes” almost sounded worse than the “F” word, who knows the F word is losing it’s clout maybe blazes will make a comeback.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 09:05 PM

I'm with you,Jem. My favourite film ever is still "Oh,Mr Porter!" with Moore Marriott,Graham Moffat...and the leg-end that was Will Hay. 1937,black-and-white...and brilliant. Makes a chap wish Buggeskelly were a real place...#sigh#...
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 11:43 PM

don't forget all those Utube interviews with the stars of yesteryear - they often gave away hollywood secrets- groucho marx who probably only made B/W films was interviewed in color - spoils it a bit don't it but they showed plenty of b/w clips to compliment the show.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 01:09 AM

The Marx Bros never really hit the mark for me,gummy. NOT saying they were rubbish...but after a while their humour became predictable. Rather like Norman Wisdom...yet,even once he was filming in colour,ol' Norm still 'had it'. Have you seen the footage of him collecting his knighthood from The Queen? He bow,turns,walks away-and trips [deliberately]..HMQ can't help but grin as he does so. THAT'S being a legend!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 04:49 AM

The Cornish Explorer

Once you could buy a ticket on the Cornish Explorer which permitted you to travel free on any train anywhere in Cornwall!

Oh what days - "there was only one working mine left in Cornwall [near St Just]. but the landscape was scattered with abandoned mineworks which looked like ruined churches in ghost villages.........................many solitary cottages...................it looked to be the most haunted place in England, and then its reputation for goblins seemed justified. We came to Penzance [somewhat ambitiously style the "Cornish Riviera........John Davison the Scottish poet drowned himself here]............there were few pleasures in England that could beat the small three-coach branch line train.............We went along the river Hayle and paused at the station called Leland Saltings, which faced green -speckled mud flats.

Paul Theroux - The Kingdom by the Sea - Penguin books 1984

I must admit I remain nostalgic for the Britain of the '80's - I had left it in '77 and returned in '81 so I doubt much had changed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 07:48 AM

Yes Gummy, Britain is great, there are worse places to feel a sense of futility.

Page 489 of 1676 « First < 389 439 479 487 488 489 490 491 499 539 589 989 1489 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top