Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Re: Alice and the Bread slicer

Originally Posted by eccles ->
That's nothing - my mother in law used to just hug the loaf to her chest and cut slices off while holding it. I've never heard of anyone else doing that, and the slices were pretty well perfect too. Very scary to watch.
My mum used to cut it that way when we were kids.

There's also a description of the technique in Charles Dickens' Great Expectations by Pip's sister who was married to Joe Gargery, while they sat waiting for their dinner. And as she used to keep pins and needles stuck in her pinny, they were concerned that they might get a mouthful of those too. So descriptive
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 04:56 PM

And my Mother....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
And my Mother....

I remember my Nan doing the same.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 12:13 AM

I remember, maybe 15 to 20 years ago, when our local Sainsbury’s had a bread slicing machine for customers to use, to slice their loaf of bread.
They have the same type of bread cutting machines now but behind the bakery counter.

It must have been Health and Safety stepping in?!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I remember my Nan doing the same.

My nan as well, she buttered it first as well

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I remember, maybe 15 to 20 years ago, when our local Sainsbury’s had a bread slicing machine for customers to use, to slice their loaf of bread.
They have the same type of bread cutting machines now but behind the bakery counter.

It must have been Health and Safety stepping in?!
Lidls have the self service bread slicers

It doesn't work unless its closed, so no danger
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 11:30 AM

I am surprised she was allowed to do this, certainly seems to be a very unsafe method she used.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top