Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:36 AM

AC Only Switch?

I was carrying out some mods to the solar 12v system on my camper and I wanted to put a switch in the circuit between the solar panel and the new MPPT charger purely because that is easier than disconnecting the wires.

In my box of useful stuff I found a light switch that must be a few decades old (it's circular and uses flat blade screws) however it is in perfect condition and rated 10amps.

The only fly in the ointment is that it has "AC Only" stamped in the plastic. Does anybody know why?

I used the switch anyway because it will be opened off load on the rare occasion it is used and the maximum current is 4 amps at about 20volts.

The only reason I could think of for this warning is to protect the contacts as with DC one will tend to be damaged more than the other by any arcing but that could be wildly off track.

Anyone know why this light switch would be labelled "AC only"?
DaveyJ
South Coast England
DaveyJ is male  DaveyJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:14 AM

Re: AC Only Switch?

Could be that your switch is more than donkeys -years old. DC supplies were once common and normal years ago in towns etc and required double pole fusing and different switchgear, so my Father told me. Can see no problem with you using it, especially on low voltage. Unless somebody knows better.

Just a note, I assume what you are playing about with does not need double-pole switching?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:34 PM

Re: AC Only Switch?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I was carrying out some mods to the solar 12v system on my camper and I wanted to put a switch in the circuit between the solar panel and the new MPPT charger purely because that is easier than disconnecting the wires.

In my box of useful stuff I found a light switch that must be a few decades old (it's circular and uses flat blade screws) however it is in perfect condition and rated 10amps.

The only fly in the ointment is that it has "AC Only" stamped in the plastic. Does anybody know why?

I used the switch anyway because it will be opened off load on the rare occasion it is used and the maximum current is 4 amps at about 20volts.

The only reason I could think of for this warning is to protect the contacts as with DC one will tend to be damaged more than the other by any arcing but that could be wildly off track.

Anyone know why this light switch would be labelled "AC only"?
Have a look here...

https://www.mouser.com/blog/which-sw...f-its-ac-or-dc

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top