Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 03:30 PM

Strictly For The Grown Ups Rhubarb Dessert.

Hi everyone, I have my brother and sis-in-law coming round for dinner tomorrow evening. This usually involves dinner, dessert and drinkypoos, lots of it. LOL.
(However, when it is they, I do tend to fret a little. You may have read of my mention of the fact that it is the SIL who lives round the corner, is a superb cook, meals always an outstanding success, never puts a foot wrong with her dishes, perfect hostess, desserts she makes herself everytime, that are fabulously delicious every time, always,always the perfect ending to a meal that doesn’t make one feel they have had enough drinking because they are too full, I hate her!! Not for her the frozen dessert put on the kitchen top to defrost for the evening! (Wot! Moi?) - Love her to bits really.

Anyway, was trying my hardest to come up with an idea for a dessert that would not put me to shame. I trailed the web, searched my recipe folder, nothing that appealed at all. Everything that I thought of seemed too heavy, too shop bought, too wintery.

Then….Bingo! My saviour came to my aid. I was chatting to my lovely Polish neighbour next door and she gave me the perfect recipe for a dessert that back home in her native land, is one of the most popular desserts for a meal. Definitely suitable for an evening of supping. HIC! And, as a bonus, it gives me another opportunity to use up the remainder of the lovely pink rhubarb my neighbour from the other side gave me from his allotment.

It has to be perfect so had a dress rehearsal last night, IT WAS LOVELY! And I am one happy bunny because it is the easiest, simplest dessert to make, even for a divvy like me.

So here below is the recipe for this dessert.

2.˝ cups of pink rhubarb
2 cups of water
1 packet of raspberry jelly
3 teaspoons of sugar
Orange zest from one orange
6 ounces white wine (I used Rose)

Apart from the wine and jelly, put the rest of the ingredients - the rhubarb, water, orange zest and sugar - into a saucepan over a low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.

Take off the heat and sieve it into another dish, remove the rhubarb from the sieve and put aside for later.

Bring the mixture to a low boil again, add the jelly cubes, stirring until dissolved. Now add the wine.

Using a jelly mould, first put in the rhubarb, and then the liquid. Refrigerate.

When it has set, remove from fridge, turn the jelly mould upside down over a plate.

I decorated this with raspberries at the base of the dish (Bought frozen from Sainsbury's) and served it with whipped cream. Honestly, quite proud of this dessert. It's light, really refreshing and tasty. Bring it on!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 03:35 PM

Re: Strictly For The Grown Ups Rhubarb Dessert.

Sounds wonderful - I'm going out to raid my neighbour's rhubarb patch !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sounds wonderful - I'm going out to raid my neighbour's rhubarb patch !
Hee Hee! good idea ST, sorry no picture this time. I was very proud of how it looked though, Kind of like the first time one makes a sandcastle!! perfection.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi everyone, I have my brother and sis-in-law coming round for dinner tomorrow evening. This usually involves dinner, dessert and drinkypoos, lots of it. LOL.
(However, when it is they, I do tend to fret a little. You may have read of my mention of the fact that it is the SIL who lives round the corner, is a superb cook, meals always an outstanding success, never puts a foot wrong with her dishes, perfect hostess, desserts she makes herself everytime, that are fabulously delicious every time, always,always the perfect ending to a meal that doesn’t make one feel they have had enough drinking because they are too full, I hate her!! Not for her the frozen dessert put on the kitchen top to defrost for the evening! (Wot! Moi?) - Love her to bits really.

Anyway, was trying my hardest to come up with an idea for a dessert that would not put me to shame. I trailed the web, searched my recipe folder, nothing that appealed at all. Everything that I thought of seemed too heavy, too shop bought, too wintery.

Then….Bingo! My saviour came to my aid. I was chatting to my lovely Polish neighbour next door and she gave me the perfect recipe for a dessert that back home in her native land, is one of the most popular desserts for a meal. Definitely suitable for an evening of supping. HIC! And, as a bonus, it gives me another opportunity to use up the remainder of the lovely pink rhubarb my neighbour from the other side gave me from his allotment.

It has to be perfect so had a dress rehearsal last night, IT WAS LOVELY! And I am one happy bunny because it is the easiest, simplest dessert to make, even for a divvy like me.

So here below is the recipe for this dessert.

2.˝ cups of pink rhubarb
2 cups of water
1 packet of raspberry jelly
3 teaspoons of sugar
Orange zest from one orange
6 ounces white wine (I used Rose)

Apart from the wine and jelly, put the rest of the ingredients - the rhubarb, water, orange zest and sugar - into a saucepan over a low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.

Take off the heat and sieve it into another dish, remove the rhubarb from the sieve and put aside for later.

Bring the mixture to a low boil again, add the jelly cubes, stirring until dissolved. Now add the wine.

Using a jelly mould, first put in the rhubarb, and then the liquid. Refrigerate.

When it has set, remove from fridge, turn the jelly mould upside down over a plate.

I decorated this with raspberries at the base of the dish (Bought frozen from Sainsbury's) and served it with whipped cream. Honestly, quite proud of this dessert. It's light, really refreshing and tasty. Bring it on!!

Since as you say darlin' its to be a 'boozy' meal, might I suggest you use some vodka to mix the jelly with too!!! (hic!)
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-06-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since as you say darlin' its to be a 'boozy' meal, might I suggest you use some vodka to mix the jelly with too!!! (hic!)
LOL UJ, I already do that with ice cubes, (courtesy of the teenage grandkids many party tips) for Vodka and Gin drinks.
I tend to put less of a measure in the glass though or my drinkers would be tipping over within an hour!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 04:59 PM

It sounds a wonderful dessert Shrops .... only thing is I love rhubarb but Mr Mags doesn't ... so can I come to your house tomorrow please?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It sounds a wonderful dessert Shrops .... only thing is I love rhubarb but Mr Mags doesn't ... so can I come to your house tomorrow please?
LOL, you're more than welcome Mags, I'll serve you a double helping to keep you going. xx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, you're more than welcome Mags, I'll serve you a double helping to keep you going. xx
That sounds good
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 06:07 PM

We love rhubarb and I grow loads of the stuff, the surplus of which I cut up and freeze to see us over the winter. Must say the recipe sounds tasty though, I may give it a bash for a family gathering next month.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Thanks Barry. it's foolproof I promise. AND I SHOULD KNOW!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top