Join for free
Page 141 of 274 « First < 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 191 241 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
So we've more or less completed two thirds of the list and it's exactly three months to the day since we started this musical extravaganza of headache-inducing proportions.
I'm roughly predicting we should complete the whole thing by the end of May which is now my goal. Any later than that and it will drag into summer and we'll have to take a break. I won't be cooked up indoors in sunny weather (if we get any this year!).
Back soon with The Jam
I'm away for a week in May. You do realise that I will now have to take my laptop with me. I don't want to miss the top teen. I did a quick check and the hotel has WiFi.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 04:09 PM

Went to a few early days Kraftwerk concerts in Germany before they started using so many flashing strobes on stage which rather spoilt it for me . (spot the Radio K.A.O.S beginning )

ELO's Hold on tight is my little indulgence for personal reasons so excuse my squeezing it in here

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm away for a week in May. You do realise that I will now have to take my laptop with me. I don't want to miss the top teen. I did a quick check and the hotel has WiFi.
Lol! Don't worry about it mate, glad you find it addictive. I'd never thought of it being so compelling
The thread will still be here when you come back - enjoy the sunshine! Where are you heading off to anyway?

Originally Posted by solo ->
Went to a few early days Kraftwerk concerts in Germany before they started using so many flashing strobes on stage which rather spoilt it for me . (spot the Radio K.A.O.S beginning )

ELO's Hold on tight is my little indulgence for personal reasons so excuse my squeezing it in here

Nice one, solo.
I enjoyed that Kraftwerk clip more than I thought I would tbh. They are robots, but they do things with a certain amount of style attached!
Thanks for showing us these, and I'm always pleased to see other similar videos from bands mentioned whose albums might no appear in my list, this ELO album just missed out unfortunately.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No.359: "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk (1974)
The German synth pioneers whose live outings make a Pet Shop Boys concert look like a heavy metal thrash night. I'm not sure about this highly technological outfit, but they have made some good stuff over the years, however tediously monologued them seem. Here is the full-length version of the title track. It's only in audio form with a still picture of the album sleeve to support it, but I reckon that is still far more exciting than watching this band perform it live.

Wash ya gob out Heathen, best live sound of any band ive seen, they brought the Kling Klang Studio with them and were as entertaining as any band ive seen.

Thy were originals and one of the most influential bands in history, and yo have the nerve to like Gary Numan.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 05:29 PM

Popping in early to get these done. Wanna watch a film tonight. Here are The Jam:

No.355: "Sound Affects" by The Jam (1980)
I remember when the single 'Going Underground' went straight in at No.1 in the spring of 1980 when we knew that this angry bunch of latter day mods had really made it. In Weller's usual anti-rule book fashion, he omitted it from the forthcoming album all together, that's how sure they were that the record wouldn't need that classic hit to ensure it sold huge quantities. It's a credit to Weller (and his team mates) that The Jam were such great songwriters and a powerful band live that they could have so much diversity on their albums too. The other two songs I feature here, apart from the aforementioned non-album single are the semi-acoustic 'kick 'em in the balls' anthem 'That's Entertainment' and their blatant but brilliant "cover" version of The Beatles 'Taxman' - Start!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-04-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Wash ya gob out Heathen, best live sound of any band ive seen, they brought the Kling Klang Studio with them and were as entertaining as any band ive seen.

Thy were originals and one of the most influential bands in history, and yo have the nerve to like Gary Numan.
Lolol! That told me then!
I must say I haven't seen Kraftwerk live but have witnessed their DVDs in the past and when a band a few years ago played the whole concert from behind a curtain using robots on keyboards for the whole show, well I don't find that particularly exciting or value for money. But that's just me, I must be missing the point
Oi! Don't knock Gazza either, he's fabulous and a great act live too
Maybe I should be seeing something else in Kraftwerk that I've missed I dunno. Each to...etc though
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-04-2018, 05:42 PM

No.354: "Raised On Radio" by Journey (1986)
Journey's final album until they split for 10 years and returned with a monster (more of that later), and it's another set of strong songs made for FM/AOR US radio and complementing Neal Schon's searing guitar is Steve Perry's magnificent soaring voice over the top of all of it. First song from the album is included here, sadly no video available and a stand alone single from the previous year which was used in the movie Vision Quest. Remember that film? No, neither do I.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-04-2018, 05:49 PM

No.353: "Great Western Valkyrie" by Rival Sons (2014)
Fabulous band from California formed by Jay Buchanan and Scott Holiday with their best album so far. Tremendous live, I saw them play at Sheffield's Leadmill doing this record and they blew me away. Touches of Queen and Led Zeppelin and with all the theatrics of Freddie Mercury and Jimmy Page thrown into the mix as well. You must witness this band perform if you get the chance.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-04-2018, 05:55 PM

No.352: "Genesis" by Genesis (1983)
With Phil Collins having two solo albums under his belt and taking a 2-year break in 1983, what better way than to continue with his old band and record and tour this album around the world. It includes that haunting, song 'Mama' complete with its scary video (shown here) as well as the single 'Throwing It All Away' and a live excerpt of their finale from the album 'Home By The Sea'/'Second Home By The Sea'.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-04-2018, 06:07 PM

No.351: "On The Border" by The Eagles (1974)
Taking things easy after the success of Desperado and employing a laid back, more countryfied stance, The Eagles released On The Border to massive acclaim nonetheless. Including just one single in 'The Best Of My Love', the record sold millions and put this most famous of all country-rock acts solidly in the superstar bracket. As with most Eagles-related product, they are greedy in the extreme and won't allow their official clips to be seen unless they are paid for, which I am not prepared to do. There are later versions of these songs from more recent concerts but they are not authentic enough to be shown here as they are not relevant to the era. But I did find a live excerpt of one song, plus a photographic collage of the Tom Waits covered 'Ol' 55' - which the songwriter hated apparently.

All for today, your list from 400-351 coming up.
Thanks for watching

Page 141 of 274 « First < 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 191 241 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top