Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Diesel scrappage

As anyone who knows me will confirm, my views of eco-warriors and the like are far from enthusiastic!

However, today I felt that I owe them, at least indirectly, my thanks.

We have been looking for a new car and intended to dispose of my 14 year-old Skoda Fabia which, although still an excellent runner with an impressive turn of speed, is becoming a liability in that necessary repairs and MoT requirements are increasingly expensive.

My wife's Mazda 3 is still good, although we decided to dispose of that too as we no longer need both cars now we are both retired.

I had originally intended to sell the car to some firm like 'We Buy Any Car' and found we'd be lucky to get much more than a couple of hundred pounds.

We'd even thought of giving it away to a friend or family member, but no-one wanted it!

Imagine my delight when I discovered the government's 'scrappage scheme' for pre-2009 diesels. I was even more delighted when I found it was worth far more than a couple of hundred pounds - four thousand pounds, in fact!

Having done a great deal of searching and research, we finally decided on a VW Golf 1.5 EVO. This is one of several cars, I believe, which automatically shuts down two of four cylinders when driving with little need for power and, obviously, cuts down on fuel use.

We visited our local VW outlet today and had a test drive. The car was very impressive in all respects and, as I had read in reviews, the change between four and two cylinders was completely imperceptible apart from an indicator on the dashboard.

Not only did we receive the £4000 scrappage deal, but also managed to acquire approaching £2000 reduction on the RRP. I was slightly surprised that, in addition, they would also accept my wife's car in part exchange.

My suggestion to others then, if they were not aware of this diesel scrappage deal is, if you own an old car that qualifies especially if it isn't worth much at all (like mine), is to jump at the opportunity!

Thanks, eco-warriors, for pushing the government to make such an unexpected move!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 02:29 AM

Re: Diesel scrappage

I wouldn't touch a German car after they tried to cheat with exhaust emissions.Another thing about all German cars you buy the basic then pay extra for any add on upgrades which you can't get your money back on resale

Cutting from 4 cylinders to 2 makes me wonder about uneven wear in the engine block after a time. One pair will explode fuel which lubricates ( petrol contains some oil) the bore while the other pair don't get any lubrication making them run dry and hotter. In theory anyway.

I know some 12 pot engines cut down to 6 pots but I don't think they are very popular

I got my wife a Honda civic estate new 1.6 diesel and no road tax as the emissions are below the taxation bracket. Also returns around 70 MPG.

Having had Toyota- Honda- Isuzu and now Nissan cars in different variations I have never had one fail . I can only speak from my viewpoint But the Japanese cars are far
superior to most other makes for build quality and reliability

Even this Nissan Xtrail Tenka estate with 7 seats I have now returns around 50 mpg around the houses and is a 1.6 diesel.

At the end of the day it is the person paying the money who has the choice.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 06:03 AM

What a great deal on a very good car.

The ACM engine produces very very little friction when on 2 cylinders therefore extra wear on the cylinders is miniscule .

What I do like about the Golf is the changes(over the years)between models is so subtle it hardly affects the residual value of the model before.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I wouldn't touch a German car after they tried to cheat with exhaust emissions.
I really don't give a toss about exhaust emissions, cheated or not. In my opinion, it is just another bandwagon on to which the PC army can jump. At the same time, they seem unaware of the far greater emissions produced by HGVs, busses, aeroplanes and Chinese power stations!

At the same time, I give them my thanks for the £4000 they have given me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-02-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Another thing about all German cars you buy the basic then pay extra for any add on upgrades which you can't get your money back on resale
Not true, at least in our case. We didn't add on any upgrades; the car has everything we want.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-02-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
What I do like about the Golf is the changes(over the years)between models is so subtle it hardly affects the residual value of the model before.
True. Whilst they have made changes technologically, the outward appearance hasn't changed a great deal. Also, I have read that VWs hold their resale value better than most other cars. You pay a bit more, but they are still a bit more when you come to sell them.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I really don't give a toss about exhaust emissions, cheated or not. In my opinion, it is just another bandwagon on to which the PC army can jump. At the same time, they seem unaware of the far greater emissions produced by HGVs, busses, aeroplanes and Chinese power stations!

At the same time, I give them my thanks for the £4000 they have given me.
But how much did you have to give them for your 4 grand.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Imagine my delight when I discovered the government's 'scrappage scheme' for pre-2009 diesels. I was even more delighted when I found it was worth far more than a couple of hundred pounds - four thousand pounds, in fact!

Having done a great deal of searching and research, we finally decided on a VW Golf 1.5 EVO. This is one of several cars, I believe, which automatically shuts down two of four cylinders when driving with little need for power and, obviously, cuts down on fuel use.
It'll be interesting to know if all dealers are offering this,little promoted which is strange.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
But how much did you have to give them for your 4 grand.
I have no idea. Probably a great deal. We are ALL paying through the nose to solve the consciences of the eco-warriors!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 11:25 AM

Sounds like you got a great deal there JBR. I have never heard of the scrappage scheme. I wonder if all companies do that or just VW?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top