Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:29 AM

Assault on my taste buds

One of my neighbours is an American lady, she's been here years but misses foods from her home country. She's always lamented that she's unable to get twinkies in this country.

She went home for a holiday and came back with 36 boxes !

Last night she had a Hoover problem so she knocked the door to get my help, I popped round and sorted it for her and she made me a cup of tea. We sat down and she reverently took a cloth off a plate to reveal two of these delicacies.

It took me by surprise it looked a bit different from what I'd expected it sort of had an unhealthy yellow glow to the surface.

I sniffed it had an odd sweet smell so I tasted. Oh my good lord ! It was vile. Greasy sweet, not a natural ingredient in it I believe. So chemically yuk !

One bite was enough she was shocked how could I not like her favourite cakes ?

Apparently hugely popular in USA so I just muttered perhaps they don't travel well ?

Have you had them what did you think ? Is it just me and my funny tastes or are they made by the devil ?

No offence meant to our American friends but who the hell thought them up ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:37 AM

Re: Assault on my taste buds

If I wasn’t sure about it, I think I would have asked if I could take it home to eat later rather than insult her
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Never tried Twinkies...and after your experience not likely to either.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:39 AM

She built them up over the past twenty years into sounding like such a treat I had to try mags. I didn't insult her I said it was lovely and I'd take a bit home for Steven to try. Hence the napkin came in very handy. I wouldn't dream of upsetting anyone like that my yuk was said inwardly to myself.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:52 AM

I've never understood the appeal of oreos either. But I think you become attached to the sweets you're used to.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 10:20 AM

They are horrid! So are Hersheys!
When we used to visit my sister in the US we tried lots of the treats we'd seen on TV shows, none were nice!
Apple sauce was tasteless, bagels greasy, cheese not cheezy!
Didn't find much we liked, sorry to our members from across the pond.
Loved most of everything except the food.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 10:34 AM

I've never even heard of 'Twinkies', but I probably wouldn't like them if they are very sweeet anyway.
What are they, a cake or a biscuit?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Nor have I but they sound yucky!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've never even heard of 'Twinkies', but I probably wouldn't like them if they are very sweeet anyway.
What are they, a cake or a biscuit?
I'd heard of them but never seen them. This is what they look like:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....twinkie-facts/

Twinkies are essentially sweetened bread with vanilla cream filling

Among the artificial ingredients in Twinkies is cellulose gum, which gives Twinkie cream its smooth feel. Another place you can find this cellulose gum is in rocket fuel.

The chemicals that make up the artificial butter flavor are derived from petroleum.

Another interesting ingredient in Twinkies is corn dextrin. This gives Twinkies their sticky crust. Another place you can find this wonderful ingredient is in various glues; for instance, the glue that you find on the back of envelopes.

I feel .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'd heard of them but never seen them. This is what they look like:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....twinkie-facts/

I feel .....
That just about sums them up, no wonder they tasted like chemicals !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top