Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Re: Assault on my taste buds

Actually the Hostess company went into bankrupcy and for a number of years they were not available. But now the original recipe was sold to another company and they are once again available.

Not my favourite either but the Hostess Cupcakes and the Hostess Snowballs are OK....I won't say they are great, just OK in a pinch.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:12 AM

They're terrible ain't they!
I remember when I first came to Canada and tried them.
That chemical aftertaste was lovely. Not!
One bite was more than enough.
They have deep-fried ones too - want me to send ya some!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->

They're terrible ain't they!
I remember when I first came to Canada and tried them.
That chemical aftertaste was lovely. Not!
One bite was more than enough.
They have deep-fried ones too - want me to send ya some!
Deep-fried in what, though .....

Diesel oil .....
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Deep-fried in what, though .....

Diesel oil .....
Probably!

I just did a search for them, and apparently they're battered and frozen.
You reheat them in an oven or frying pan.
Sound delish don't they!

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Oh they look ..... Niiiiice ?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Probably!

I just did a search for them, and apparently they're battered and frozen.
You reheat them in an oven or frying pan.
Sound delish don't they!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hostess-O...-Box/109368813

Hostess Deep Fried Original Twinkie funnel cake battered sponge cakes with creamy filling. Enjoy Hot! Oven baked in minutes

Ingredients:

Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate [Iron], Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Soybean Oil, Bleached Wheat Flour, Sugar, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Animal and Vegetable Shortening (Tallow, Hydrogenated Tallow, Cottonseed Oil, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin), Eggs, Contains Less Than 2% of Agar, Baking Soda, Barley Malt Extract, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Cellulose Gum, Corn Syrup Solids, Corn Grits, Cornstarch, Dextrose, Disodium Phosphate, Enzymes, Glycerin, Leavening (Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Locust Bean Gum, Milk Protein Concentrate, Modified Cornstarch, Monocalcium Phosphate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Sorbate and Sorbic Acid (To Retain Freshness), Red 40, Salt, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Flour, Soy Lecithin, Whey, Xanthan Gum, Yellow 5.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:56 AM

Stick a wick in the top and you have a candle
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

26-02-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Stick a wick in the top and you have a candle
I'd rather do that than eat one .....
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Scottish food...I think most of it is just a dare.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
One of my neighbours is an American lady, she's been here years but misses foods from her home country. She's always lamented that she's unable to get twinkies in this country.

She went home for a holiday and came back with 36 boxes !

Last night she had a Hoover problem so she knocked the door to get my help, I popped round and sorted it for her and she made me a cup of tea. We sat down and she reverently took a cloth off a plate to reveal two of these delicacies.

It took me by surprise it looked a bit different from what I'd expected it sort of had an unhealthy yellow glow to the surface.

I sniffed it had an odd sweet smell so I tasted. Oh my good lord ! It was vile. Greasy sweet, not a natural ingredient in it I believe. So chemically yuk !

One bite was enough she was shocked how could I not like her favourite cakes ?

Apparently hugely popular in USA so I just muttered perhaps they don't travel well ?

Have you had them what did you think ? Is it just me and my funny tastes or are they made by the devil ?

No offence meant to our American friends but who the hell thought them up ?
What the heck are 'twinkies'?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top