Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Ooops flat battery!

My car started first time yesterday but I didn't drive it, just let engine run for a bit.
This morning, it didn't
I had to ask my neighbour to help, he had a machine thingy, didn't work though. It did last time he helped me
So he went to the garages to get his jump leads, the council men were painting the doors and poor chap got covered in wet paint
Eventually got my car started.
I was going to town to get some bits and bobs but decided not to stop as I didn't want to phone the chap and get rescued if I couldn't start it again
So I went for quite a long drive round and round until I got fed up.
My question is:
Should I keep going out and starting it or can I leave it?
I need to drive it on Wednesday.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 03:09 PM

Re: Ooops flat battery!

put your battery on charge is the answer

I have one of these and the video is well worth watching

CTEK MXS5.0 5A Battery Charger Maintainer

Not the cheapest by far but the best in my opinion. Not only will it charge your battery but recondition it and has a maintenance final finish as well. Also charges stop/start engines , a lot don't

it also show "if you watch" the video if you need a new battery

fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 08:39 PM

Tess,

When you start a car it takes a journey of approx 6 miles to put that charge back in. If the battery is fully charged on a car and good, it's ok to leave for several weeks without starting.

Once a battery starts to fail, they don't hold a charge properly anymore. It may be new battery time.
Or, it could be caused by too many short journeys. That being the case, a good old drive around should bring the battery back to a full charge. A garage can check the battery condition, but if in doubt I'd personally just replace it. They are quite often knackered after 3-4 years.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 08:54 PM

Sorry Realspeed but I have to park some way from my home so couldn't use one of those. I can't lift heavy things either
I'm hoping car starts in the morning, the battery was new last year but I don't know how long they last Fender.
The last time it was jump started I think it was the old battery.
I wish I knew more about cars, but when people try to explain things I glaze over after they say to open the bonnet!
Thanks guys x
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Are you doing short journeys Tess?
If so, then just have a good old drive about to recharge the battery. They should last 3-5 years dependent on the make / quality...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Yes lots of short journeys, tomorrow I have quite a long one (7miles) and Wednesday even longer (15.5) which is very important that's why I was panicking!

Not fond of driving so I try to put journeys off.
My own fault I suppose
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

05-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Well the short journeys are half the problem then.....

Let us know how you get on tmrw....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-03-2018, 09:22 PM

I shall, if it doesn't start I'll thrash it with me handbag!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

05-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I shall, if it doesn't start I'll thrash it with me handbag!
Or a big branch like Basil did......
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:02 PM

Have to agree it looks like the short journeys aren’t putting enough charge back into the battery, you might try buying a solar trickle charger if you have no access to mains voltage, it should keep the battery topped up enough to start your car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top