Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 10:13 PM

100 Years of the RAF with Colin and Ewan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro.../13/raf-at-100

Did anyone see this magnificent programme this evening on BBC1?
As an ex-serviceman and somebody who is very interested in military history I thought it was quite a wonderful documentary as actor Ewan and his brother Colin McGregor (20 years in the RAF) revisited the aircraft and visited people and veterans who were instrumental in the shaping and subsequent events which took place throughout the Royal Air Force since the First World War planes.

Whilst this programme was showing tonight I suddenly realised that it is almost 30 years since I joined the RAF myself - 25th March 1988, leaving twelve years later in 2000.

Times were so much more different for me than it was for many of those people who lost their lives fighting for this country in war time.

As it is 100 years since the end of the Great War I'm sure there will be plenty more programmes like this one to come. We must always remember those courageous people who played their part to make ours safer in years to come.

A marvellous programme.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 10:31 PM

Re: 100 Years of the RAF with Colin and Ewan

I did it was excellent !
My Dad was in the RAF.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I did it was excellent !
My Dad was in the RAF.
What was his trade, Muddy. Was he a pilot?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 12:40 AM

I watched it and found it riveting

Those brave brave men, not just during the two world wars, but in the Cold War as well. To know that if the command came, you were going to your death, no ifs or buts. Very sobering
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 09:24 AM

I recorded this programme and am looking forward to watching it having been an RAF wife for over twenty years. I clearly remember the Cuban crisis because my then husband worked on the radar systems of the Vulcan bombers for eight years. It was a terrifying time knowing the aircraft were flying with nuclear bombs onboard. He was confined to camp for weeks, I lived with our baby in Lincoln, so we had no contact. No phones in those days. After the Vulcans he worked on Nimrods.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 06:54 PM

I didn't see it but it's on iplayer for another 29 days so hope to watch some time this week.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-04-2018, 09:35 PM

It's a little short notice but if you are interested, these brothers narrate a programme about the Battle of Britain on TV tonight at 10 pm on BBC4.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:45 PM

An excellent programme - well presented by the McGregor brothers. I especially liked the feature on the Vulcan bomber, a brilliant piece of engineering and could be considered the as first `stealth` bomber.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's a little short notice but if you are interested, these brothers narrate a programme about the Battle of Britain on TV tonight at 10 pm on BBC4.
Thanks for the heads-up. Will set the recorder for that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-04-2018, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
An excellent programme - well presented by the McGregor brothers. I especially liked the feature on the Vulcan bomber, a brilliant piece of engineering and could be considered the as first `stealth` bomber.
Watching that right now Judd as I tap away to you. I do enjoy Guy Martin's programmes once you get used to his excitibilty!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top