Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 04:30 AM

Re: It is said that the NHS stands on a burning platform

Originally Posted by theskouser ->

, as it is so easy for electronic communications to become missing or distorted in transit."

I am not sure that your assertion that emails are easily lost or distorted is in anyway true. The whole purpose of the creation of the Internet was for accurate reliable communications under almost any circumstances.

Usually the errors are at the sending or the receiving end when humans become involved.

Also you can make an email require acknowledgement and though the recipient can turn this off that might be an avenue to pursue.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 05:38 AM

It's down to policy of doctors surgeries Bruce. They do not as a rule accept emails from.patients. data protection is used as a reason. But I think maybe they would be overwhelmed with emails otherwise.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 07:52 AM

I order my husband's medicines online, phone the chemist the following day and they collect the prescription from the surgery. The medicines are ready for me to collect from the pharmacy the day after that. Works a treat.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:10 AM

OP appears to be a bit of a technophobe and worrier.

Electronic communications are surely far far safer and more reliable than issuing bits of paper and trying to keep those safe and organised !

The nub of the concern seems to centre around running out of meds for the given week or month.

If one's life depended on such drugs then anyone who took that remotely seriously would ensure that they were always at least 1 week or 1 month ahead of the game. i.e. that at any point in time you have 2 batches of meds in the cabinet so that when that got down to close to 1 you would already be ordering the next and hence would never ever run out.

It;s your life and THERE ARE NO RULES in this world except the one's we foolishly volunteer to subject ourselves to. Hence you either go to your doctor and demand an extra batch of meds so that you can always stay 1 batch ahead, OR, if they refuse, you go online and order a batch yourself from whichever site you can find that will supply them. There are always ways to do this.

It is your life, it is noone else's responsibility to look after your health so get up and get it sorted. Be innovative.
For example, you could say that you dropped the bottle of pills into the sink accidentally and they all got wet so you need another batch straight away.

Just do whatever you need to in order to be one batch ahead of the game.

And ideally, research natural treatments for your conditions and get yourself of that dependency on meds. It's a conveyor belt system that just results in people moving from one med to the next indefinitely. Generates great profits for Big Pharmaceuticals at the expense of your health.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Pharmacies don't like to issue overlapping meds.it's vulnerable people who are at risk and they are not always the most organised.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Pharmacies don't like to issue overlapping meds.it's vulnerable people who are at risk and they are not always the most organised.
Who gives a sh*t what pharmacies think?!! It's your life that is in the balance, we have to take responsibility. Having a batch of meds in hand is emminently sensible.

Just as having a good store of long term food is eminently sensible. I never wait for something to actually run out before going to buy more. As a result I have about 6 months of food supply in the house at any point in time. If the shops every run dry due to some national incident or strike then I will survivec quite comfortably.

What would people do if there was a massive snow fall that prevented them from getting out to collect meds from a pharmacy? Sit there and die?!!! It's stupid to operate on a "just in time" system for meds, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Hence, get yourself at least one batch ahead if not more.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-04-2018, 11:14 AM

A lot of people are on expensive meds and the pharmacy is the only way they can afford them. So if the doctor does not agree they have no choice.
theskouser
New Member!
Merseyside
theskouser is male 

04-04-2018, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That is exactly what I do Annie I registered with my surgery to use the 'Patient access service', I go online and select myself which of my meds I wish to reorder and go back and check later that it has been 'accepted': I can collect the prescription from the practice or elect a pharmacy from which to collect it.
The service is available nationwide and seems to work with a minimum of fuss.
It is necessary to give a few days notice if like me a drug needs to be specially aquired.
That is the way it used to work. But now it's not broke (are you keeping up?) of course they have to fix it! And so we are in this situation where the system promises disaster to the vulnerable.

Today, nothing succeeds like failure, just ask the bankers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-04-2018, 01:52 PM

It seems that it's just nutgrove that have stopped offering the online access. Other gp practices in your area are still using the system. Perhaps they have system problems.
theskouser
New Member!
Merseyside
theskouser is male 

04-04-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
OP appears to be a bit of a technophobe and worrier.

Electronic communications are surely far far safer and more reliable than issuing bits of paper and trying to keep those safe and organised !

The nub of the concern seems to centre around running out of meds for the given week or month.

If one's life depended on such drugs then anyone who took that remotely seriously would ensure that they were always at least 1 week or 1 month ahead of the game. i.e. that at any point in time you have 2 batches of meds in the cabinet so that when that got down to close to 1 you would already be ordering the next and hence would never ever run out.

It;s your life and THERE ARE NO RULES in this world except the one's we foolishly volunteer to subject ourselves to. Hence you either go to your doctor and demand an extra batch of meds so that you can always stay 1 batch ahead, OR, if they refuse, you go online and order a batch yourself from whichever site you can find that will supply them. There are always ways to do this.

It is your life, it is noone else's responsibility to look after your health so get up and get it sorted. Be innovative.
For example, you could say that you dropped the bottle of pills into the sink accidentally and they all got wet so you need another batch straight away.

Just do whatever you need to in order to be one batch ahead of the game.

And ideally, research natural treatments for your conditions and get yourself of that dependency on meds. It's a conveyor belt system that just results in people moving from one med to the next indefinitely. Generates great profits for Big Pharmaceuticals at the expense of your health.
I like and agree with much of what you write re: standing on your own feet. However, as regards the present situation I am concerned with bringing about a collective solution to this situation for the many vulnerable people who are, for whatever reason, unable [...] to look after their health [...] as you put it.

Nevertheless, your remarks have made me realise that most of the people on this site - although genuinely willing to put forward positive remarks - have either misread what I wrote, did not read it through or I have not explained myself adequately enough (probably the latter due to the word length allowed on this forum). So let me say this:

I am not talking about stockbroker belts where the police tip-toe around the Chief Constable's house UPHOLDING the law. I am speaking of a working-class area in the north of England where the police helicopter swoops low, making a racket, waking sleeping babies and where the police ENFORCE the rule of law and where a new system of reordering medications is putting vulnerable people's lives at risk. And when one challenges those in authority one is met with condescending platitudes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top