Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 05:58 PM

Sugar Tax starts tomorrow.

Hi

Your favourite fizzy drink will cost more from tomorrow.

A can of red Coke, which has 7 teaspoons of sugar in it, goes up by 8p.

About time too.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Re: Sugar Tax starts tomorrow.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

About time too.
Quite right Swims
Should have happened years ago
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 06:26 PM

I think whats going to happen is the size of cans will get smaller so the price increase will be absorbed
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 08:07 PM

It remains to be seen if it does any good and we become a nation of skinnies.....I doubt it somehow.....There are many factors that contribute to obesity and sugar in drinks is just the tip of the iceberg....Especially cold sweet drinks...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Hi

About time too.
8p isn't enough, just no need for all that sugar
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:21 PM

Hi

About time too.
A sugar tax is retarded. It will achieve nothing except to make money in taxes the cost of which will be passed onto customers. Meanwhile the evil sugar conglomerates will continue to put obscene levels of the Class A drug sugar in every product they can.

The government should be declaring sugar as harmful to health and should be passing laws that establish a MAXIMUM % of sugar per 100g of product.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A sugar tax is retarded. It will achieve nothing except to make money in taxes the cost of which will be passed onto customers. Meanwhile the evil sugar conglomerates will continue to put obscene levels of the Class A drug sugar in every product they can.

The government should be declaring sugar as harmful to health and should be passing laws that establish a MAXIMUM % of sugar per 100g of product.
Spot on
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Completely right, Realist
This should begin with the manufacturers in the first place. Why do they need to add so much sugar to begin with to everything? It's the same with salt content, don't put it in in the first place.
Thing is, the powers that be and supermarkets don't encourage cutting down the intake as most foods with reduced sugar/salt/fat cost more to buy.
The whole industry needs a massive shake up, not the government grabbing even more tax from people (especially those with children) in a veiled attempt to tell us they are concerned about our health.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 11:26 PM

Is it only on fizzy drinks?
I have an awful job finding squash without sweeteners in, they give me headaches and a bad tum, I've noticed yoghurts seem to have gone the same way.
Some sweeteners are banned in the States but we still use them here.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Is it only on fizzy drinks?
I have an awful job finding squash without sweeteners in, they give me headaches and a bad tum, I've noticed yoghurts seem to have gone the same way.
Some sweeteners are banned in the States but we still use them here.
I don't know, TessA. Not sure.
I just don't know why manufacturers are intent on adding so much sugar anyway. That seems the simple solution to me, to limit the content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top