Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:32 PM

Re: TV Remote

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Nor had I ever cleaned it before today, when it packed up dongles, it never occurred to me even, not till I read the instruction booklet.
Have you sorted the problem out Mups?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Have you sorted the problem out Mups?

Well it's working alright at the moment thank you.
I guess only time will tell.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well it's working alright at the moment thank you.
I guess only time will tell.
That's good.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 09:46 PM

The TVs in the lounge and kitchen both do not have any switches on them. They are both controlled by the remote.
I believe that the manufacturers of the modern TVs feel that we don’t need the exercise of getting out of that comfortable chair to play with switches and channel changing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
The TVs in the lounge and kitchen both do not have any switches on them. They are both controlled by the remote.
I believe that the manufacturers of the modern TVs feel that we don’t need the exercise of getting out of that comfortable chair to play with switches and channel changing.

Do you know Emjay, I never realised that, but I have checked my living room and kitchen ones tonight, and you're right - neither of them have an On/Off switch.

How dam stoopid. So if your remote packs up, or you lost it, or the dog ate it, you can't use your telly any more.
How stupid is that!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 12:33 AM

My guess here is that Mup's remote has one of its keys stuck down and so is constantly transmitting that key which wears down the batteries in short order, even new ones. It also makes it hard to control the TV because that one key is constantly transmitting.

Check all the buttons imo and press them all to make sure they all pop up again.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 02:46 AM

Some times the battery contacts get greasy or corroded to that is something to look at. I have one remote that is prone to this and just twisting the battery in situ is enough to make a better contact.

On thing you might try is looking at the remote in operation through your camera - on some cameras especially older ones the Infrared filtering is poor and you can see the transmitter in the remote flashing. Try it with a remote that you know is working first to see if your camera is sensitive enough in the IR band.

(BTW the IR filtering is usually just a reddish filter placed between the cameras lens and the sensor, if you are a little mechanically minded it is not hard to dismantle your (old) camera or mobile phone to remove the filter and you have a camera with night vision when used with a suitable 'light')

Also don't forget it is a received signal as well and the problem could be at the TV receiving end.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 08:45 AM

There is also the chance that you can buy another controller for your TV or recorder. I remember seeing some where that you can get a controller to work all your devices.
I don’t know how that would work, unless there is a switching system on it. 🤔
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 11:11 AM

There is also the chance that you can buy another controller for your TV or recorder. I remember seeing some where that you can get a controller to work all your devices.
Good point. You might find your phone or tablet has an IR transmitter that can be programmed to control just about any domestic appliance. My first Sony tablet had one I used to control just about everything with a remote in the house.

Varies from phone to phone - eg my Samsung S7 doesn't have an IR blaster
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-04-2018, 04:47 PM

I think I saw something about that somewhere Emjay, would it be called a 'Universal Control?' Not sure now.

I don't know if it was anything to do with it or not, but I'd had a power cut during that night, and I'm wondering whether that could have altered the telly settings - dunno.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for your suggestions, and at the moment - fingers crossed - it is still going alright.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top