Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 11:56 AM

Re: Pain killers

Originally Posted by deylon ->
What do you take for pain relief ? I take paracetamol or co Cocodamol depending how bad the pain is,but a friend only ever takes 1 paracetamol occasionally,she says its mind over matter
Deylon I know you have a number of health conditions so may be taking other medication. Best to talk to a doctor or pharmacist to make sure the medications you take are compatable.

I take an anticoagulant so can't take Ibuprofen
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:04 PM

I know people who claim never to take any pill; they are the lucky ones.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:12 PM

If I am in pain the only thing to hit the nail on the head is ibuprofen-codeine. Occasionally I'd combine it with a paracetamol. I don't take painkillers every day though so I don't get addicted to the codeine.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:15 PM

Funny thing, but I can take codeine for days then leave it alone; I seem unable to develop an addiction to it.

I can't take paracetamol, though.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:26 PM

I don't like taking painkillers and usually manage to avoid them.

But just recently (last 6 weeks or so) it's been one thing after another so have been using them.

First problem followed a tooth extraction and I was on maximum Ibuprofen and Paracetamol for about a fortnight, but they barely touched the pain.

More recently (this week actually) there was an incident with me dawg when she managed to pull me over and I landed on my back

First couple days were ok, just sore but since then the pain's been unbearable at times so I took myself off to the local Minor Injuries Unit where the doctor checked me over and said I had multiple intercostal muscle strains plus soft tissue injuries. He told me exactly how much of each available painkiller I can take, and it's surprisingly high!

So now, 2 paracetamol at 5.30 when I get up. 2 Ibuprofen just before I walk the dog at 6.45 (to get me round the walk), then 2 codeine (15mgs) at 8.30 after breakfast.

That usually sees me ok for the morning, then a couple more codeine at 2pm. Couple more ibuprofen before the late dog walk at 5pm then maybe some paracetamol during the evening if the pain is bad. 2 more codeine before bed.

Hopefully this is all temporary!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Why can't you take paracetamol Ffosse?

I hate paracetamol. I am not sure why, but I just don't feel it is as effective. I'd only take it in combination with ibuprofen if I am in a lot of pain and desperate for relief.

Codeine is supposed to cause constipation but I've only found that when it's co-codamol, not the ibuprofen combination. Mind you I don't take a high enough dose maybe.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

13-04-2018, 06:33 PM

Codeine and oxycodone, along with tramadol and morphine are the worst drugs for constipation.

I only can't take paracetamol at the moment as it might lower my body temperature causing a false reading as I have to take my temperature 4 times daily.

I've got Oxycodone, codeine and liquid morphine if I need them.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Doc, i'm afraid nothing works for Sciatica, I've had it for many years, the GP did put me on Co-Drackmol I might have spelt that wrong, but all that did was make me sick.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:48 PM

I tore a muscle in my back last year jumping about on a trampoline with my grandson... I have never been in so much pain honest it was terrible.

I went for physio did everything I was told but after about a month the pain was just the same. Eventually I saw a lady doctor who was so understanding she gave me Amitriptyline and also Codeine they completely knocked me out and after three days truly the pain just went.

The doctor told me I had got myself so wound up that the muscles had gone into spasm and the medication relaxed me so the muscles relaxed too...thank goodness.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top