Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Re: We should be proud......

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And it looks like we are going to support a war in Syria....Another bloody great black hole.
yeah and its amazing how there is no money for NHS yet there is plenty to throw around to fund a war
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
lets get something straight.
No, i would not give 1p unless necessary. Charity begins at home.
Do you think it's ok that some pensioners are unable to turn on their heating, or have to choose between heat or eat?, whilst we squander 14 billion a year?

There is nothing stopping us from having a £0.00 foreign aid budget. We could make payments ad-hoc according to whatever disasters may strike, and if we feel we need to send aid.
The issue is, the great ones above have made this a "commitment". To the point where they "have" to spend it, so are looking around for "good causes".

Do you think it's ok to give pakistan 850 million per year when we are fully aware they are a terrorist training ground, harbour terrorists and have a nuclear programme?

The african spice girls were a great example of how to "get rid" of some money because they"needed to"

pathetic!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
Would it make any difference if you were convinced all the aid we donate got to those in need or do you just object to giving aid to those in need in principle, whether it helps them or not?

I think doubting if aid gets to those it is intended for is often used as an excuse by those who just don't want to give it.
Hi

I would suggest that you get yourself out to Africa and see for yourself first hand.

You would have no doubts then.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I would suggest that you get yourself out to Africa and see for yourself first hand.

You would have no doubts then.

No doubt some gets through but how much is squandered?

Of the £14 billion spent.......How much gets to those in need Swimmy??

When you are in those countries where aid is spent have you ever audited the Governments in power there to see if they could be doing more?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 07:33 AM

If giving aid helped there would be no poverty in Africa by now, but all it seems to do is make it worse. I'd give only to natural disasters which can happen to anyone. But most of what we give is bribes towards hoping people will trade with us. It's not to stop poverty at all and it's a shame they lie like they do about it.

I'd love to see what my bank said if I said I wanted to borrow to give to charity, can you imagine the response ? That's the bankers (I think that's how it's spelled ), in parliament do each year.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 09:38 AM

14 billion is almost as much as we give to the EU its a ridiculous amount of money. We should stop it right now we would still give via charities and personal donations but tax payers money should be for the benefit of tax payers.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
14 billion is almost as much as we give to the EU its a ridiculous amount of money. We should stop it right now we would still give via charities and personal donations but tax payers money should be for the benefit of tax payers.
I agree Summer.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 11:34 AM

"Britain spends a larger proportion of its income on foreign aid than other major Western countries, figures have shown.

It is now one of only seven countries around the world to meet the target to spend 0.7 per cent of its national income on overseas aid"

"Britain pays a higher percentage of its income compared to France and Australia"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...id-target.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Hi

We are the only G7 Nation to spend 0.7% Of GDP on Foreign Aid.

Germany only spent 0.41%.

Germany has a Budget Surplus, we have a Budget Deficit.

We have to borrow the money we give and pay Interest on it.

I simply cannot see the logic in this.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-04-2018, 11:43 AM

I think I'm more embarrassed than proud. Other countries must be laughing their socks off at us.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top