Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Re: The Ottoman Empire

Originally Posted by summer ->
I love Turkey and I have never felt uncomfortable there or experienced anti western feelings. I m not sure what Ataturk would make of the present political regime there now I expect he is turning in his grave.

Agree with that. The reforms made by Ataturk to take Turkey into the modern world are slowly being eroded by the creeping Islamification of the country by Erdogan. The country is socially divided between the educated professionals and the uneducated labouring class.

A great shame, the late wife and I used to go regularly - to Altinkum mainly, as it is a fairly flat and level resort and she could get around easier. The last holiday we had together two months before she died was to Altinkum.

Don't think I'll go again while the current dictatorship is on the ascendant.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Re: The Ottoman Empire

Altinkum was our first destination in Turkey as well Judd. We had been booked for the Greek island of Poros but there was a terrorist attack on the City of Poros cruise ship shortly before we were due to leave so we asked the travel agent for a change at the last moment. We have been going back to Turkey every year since. We have been all over Western Turkey from Cappadocia to Gallipoli and Istanbul to Marmaris. Yes Erdoğan has been undoing much of Ataturk reforms; he has built a huge mosque on top of Camlica Hill in Istanbul. He is loved and hated in almost equal numbers. Simon Reeves in Turkey part 1 is a really interesting documentary for those interested in present day Turkey. It is available on BBC iPlayer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top