Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Smoker or Non Smoker

Hi all

Someone on another thread mentioned something about smoking and it got me to thinking about when I smoked.

I started smoking when I was 14 years old, I was a silly girl, a follower rather than a leader then I went onto smoke until I was 46 years old! I've been quit almost 11 years now after I had a terrible scare of a very bad bout of bronchitis where I thought my number was up!!

Unfortunately I'm left with lasting damage even though I quit all those years ago and now have COPD but I imagine I would be in a dreadful state now had I carried on smoking so I'm so glad I did quit in the end.

Do you smoke and wish you could quit but don't quite have the willpower? or have you quit successfully? Perhaps you have no desire to quit and plan on smoking until your dying day.

I have two friends with emphysema, one did everything possible to help herself and quit immediately once diagnosed, the other just refuses to quit even though she is now on oxygen and is in a lot of pain with struggling to breathe. My other friend who quit smoking does have poorly lungs but nowhere on the scale the friend who wouldn't or won't quit. I have never understood how the friend who continues to smoke knowing she is speeding up her own death can still smoke.

I stopped nagging her to quit a long time ago because I got to thinking I can't control what someone does and it is her choice, I nagged her for my own selfish reasons which was because I don't want to lose my friend, I want her to live longer, but, as I say our choices are our own. It's hard watching your friends become more and more poorly and feeling absolutely helpless to do anything about it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Re: Smoker or Non Smoker

I was always trying to give up and gave up for good at 35. I was ruining my health. I got to the point where I felt every puff was poisoning me. Giving up was one of the most difficult things ever. I used patches but I'd be like patsy in ab fab and smoke with the patches on. Such a horrible addiction. It's a dangerous drug IMO and should be banned.

Well done on giving up and I'm so sorry you have COPD.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:00 PM

I started smoking when I was about 15. My best friend and I were out bike riding and we found 20 Guards cigarettes on the road. We picked them up, she went home and got some matches and we cycled off somewhere quiet and smoked a few.

There was a lot of coughing, giggling and face pulling. . We were both hooked and I smoked all my life until 14 years ago when I decided to quit. My friend went on to become a nurse and still smokes heavily. Her partner died of lung cancer (and he was a heavy smoker) about 5 years ago and I thought she might stop but she didn’t.

I seem to have got off lightly as I never experienced any chest or breathing problems when I smoked and have had none since.

I sometimes wish we had carried on cycling and not picked up those cigarettes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:03 PM

I have smoked on and off over the years but currently not smoked for about three years although I do use a vape. I no longer crave cigarettes but I do miss them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:11 PM

Like others, I thought it was clever as a youngster, we all copied each other when we were kids I suppose.
I stopped over 20 years ago now though, and I am so glad I did.

Strangely enough though, I never could bear the smell of it, not on myself, or others, or even in a room - still can't.
I can even smell it on someone walking past me in the street.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Like others, I thought it was clever as a youngster, we all copied each other when we were kids I suppose.
I stopped over 20 years ago now though, and I am so glad I did.

Strangely enough though, I never could bear the smell of it, not on myself, or others, or even in a room - still can't.
I can even smell it on someone walking past me in the street.
I normally walk behind them and inhale.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:27 PM

I tried when I was about 16yrs because it seemed the thing to do - but never inhaled properly and never liked it. Then I once caught sight of myself in a mirror while smoking and it just looked so unbelievably common - I stopped straight away. Never been tempted since and do not not allow smoking or vaping in my home.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:42 PM

Used to smoke...but gave it up some 15 years ago, but I will smoke a nice cigar with a decent port after dinner in the mess
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Used to smoke...but gave it up some 15 years ago, but I will smoke a nice cigar with a decent port after dinner in the mess
I used to love a nice Havana cigar at Christmas with a glass of port. Haven't done that for a few years now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:46 PM

I have never smoked in my life and find the smell completely repugnant.
People don't really know how much they smell when they smoke Yuk!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top