Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Re: Smoker or Non Smoker

Ive never smoked ,yet Ive sufered from chest infections of /on all my life.I have a very dear friend with COPD. who just cannot give up smoking ,even though she's been told her lungs are severely damaged,she has other health conditions inc. 2 break downs and feels she will go under without a ciggie,she has cut down,rolls her own,just 4 a daynow
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Both SWMBO and I stopped at the same time about 10 years ago.
We both used champix .

And it was a piece of cake.

It is a bit of a mind bender imo.
I regard myself as a non smoker but if I want, I can have a cigarette when on holiday.

So that's about one a year.
I'd be too frightened to even try a cig, I'd be afraid it would hook me again so I wouldn't dare risk it.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 11:34 PM

I plan on giving up my vaper but find that almost as hard as giving up cigarettes was.

I have lots of nicotine patches from a prescription in my cupboard and intend to use those. Partly, it's the cost of vaping which, although cheaper than smoking, can be around £25 a week for the juice and coils.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 03:53 PM

I smoked from about age 16 to 26...because I thought it cool. Decided to quit when I got pregnant over 50 years ago. My hubby never smoked and neither of my children do.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 05:23 PM

I have never smoked, nor has my husband, nor do our children. No one was ever permitted to smoke in our home.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 06:11 PM

Same here Tara so we are in agreement twice in one day
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2018, 06:37 PM

I didn't start smoking until I was 21 !!

Anyways, I vape now and use the very low nicotine liquid. Been vaping for about 2 months or so.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Like most youngsters I had a dabble at smoking, but only felt sick afterwards and I never got into the habit.

My mother was a really heavy smoker all her adult life and we had to endure her smoke when we lived at home. She refused to try to give up, getting very angry at the suggestion and my poor dad, who had serious lung problems and emphysema from spending 4years of the war in a German camp, had to put up with it all his married life. I still blame her for his death - she just did not ( would not) see what she did to him). She was so bad that when she died the undertaker said it would be best if we did not view her because of how the smoke had affected her in death as well as life. He said it would upset us. We cleaned her house out after she had died and no amount of scrubbing and washing got rid of the smoke. We tried professional cleaners, but everything was stained yellow. The place had to be completely stripped out and re-decorated. My sister would not take her children to visit because of my mum's smoking. She actually ended up with c.o.p.d. but refused any help and it killed her in the end.
None of my children smoke, thank goodness and we no longer have to put up with the filthy, disgusting habit. Sorry if I offend any smokers.
It is indeed a terrible addiction. A friend of mine was absolutely furious that his mother would not try and give up smoking when she was told she had to. She was in her 60s and smoked non-stop. She had 5 adult children and several grandchildren who seldom visited as the house stunk so much of smoke.

Her circulation was so bad that they had to amputate one leg and Ricky, my friend, thought this would stop her smoking but it didnt. A couple of years later they had to amputate her other leg and he just gave up on her completely as he couldnt understand how she could put her whole family through all that stress and worry and extra care she needed. He was very, very cross as they had all tried to help her quit and promised her so much if she would quit but she chose not to. She died a year later and all her kids were still angry.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 04:53 PM

It's strange to me as a non-smoker how people like my mum and your friend's mum can be so addicted Flowerpower. Even when it is obvious that it is killing them they can't give up. Even when relatives try to help it doesn't seem to make any difference. Thanks for your post Flowerpower.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
It's strange to me as a non-smoker how people like my mum and your friend's mum can be so addicted Flowerpower. Even when it is obvious that it is killing them they can't give up. Even when relatives try to help it doesn't seem to make any difference. Thanks for your post Flowerpower.
Very strange indeed! My friend used to hate family gatherings because they could never be at his mothers house as it stunk and she would puff away over everybody including new babies. He couldnt understand why his mother would rather have her legs amputated and carry on smoking than spend time with her grandchildren.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top