Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2014, 10:44 PM

New Knee

My hubby suffers very badly with arthritis in his knees. He has a right knee replacement over a year ago and wishes he hadn't. Although he can walk a little better now he suffers agonising pain in his knee when in bed at night ... It stiffens up and when he moves it, as you do in your sleep - the pain shoots through him. The hospital can't find anything wrong but there has to be a reason surely? We've asked other people who have had this operation and they're fine - no pain at all.

I wondered if anybody on here has had a knee replacement and had any problems with it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Re: New Knee

Hi Carole my brother aged 73 had a knee replacement a couple of years ago and it has made a huge difference to him . His old knee had become bent and he hobbled along in great pain . He has had very little pain since the operation and has been able to return to his gardening.

Has the doctor suggested more physio or heat treatment maybe. It must be horrible to have constant pain.

I am a great fan of gentle massage, it increases the blood supply to the area and helps with pain of all kinds.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about various forms of therapy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 06:15 AM

So sad to hear this Carol, I know what its like to be in pain and when you get to bed you just want to sleep it off. When you are unable to do that it is depressing to say the least.
I agree with Meg that massage will help. I strongly recommend Arnica gel from QVC its cooling and soothing, if you could apply this before bed and also the bedding is important.
A compression bandage that you slip on may also help during the day, ask the doctor.
Knee replacements will help the majority but there will always be the odd person that has further problems.
I would also recommend the Pain Gone pen - available from Amazon, this works as a painkiller tablet would, so relief for a while ....
Wish you both well and hope a solution is not far off now x
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My hubby suffers very badly with arthritis in his knees. He has a right knee replacement over a year ago and wishes he hadn't. Although he can walk a little better now he suffers agonising pain in his knee when in bed at night ... It stiffens up and when he moves it, as you do in your sleep - the pain shoots through him. The hospital can't find anything wrong but there has to be a reason surely? We've asked other people who have had this operation and they're fine - no pain at all.

I wondered if anybody on here has had a knee replacement and had any problems with it?

Carol darlin' - been there, done that, bought the 'T' shirt. Have had both knees surgically replaced. Your OH may find some relief from pain if he does what I do and that is fold the corner of the duvet diagonally up to expose his legs and knees - the cold (or cooler) air may help.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Hi Carol,Your Husbands problem sounds like nerve damage which I had after My replacement,some yrs ago...I had x rays/blood tests etc' to find out why I was in so much pain 6/12 months afterwards,and that's what They came up with...they said the pain may go in time,and it did,but not entirely,and I've come to accept it though it's more stiffness now than painful...Ice-packs helped a lot,and keeping up the excercises ....I need another in My right knee,but I'm not putting Myself through all that again as the pain was horrendous.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
Hi Carol,Your Husbands problem sounds like nerve damage which I had after My replacement,some yrs ago...I had x rays/blood tests etc' to find out why I was in so much pain 6/12 months afterwards,and that's what They came up with...they said the pain may go in time,and it did,but not entirely,and I've come to accept it though it's more stiffness now than painful...Ice-packs helped a lot,and keeping up the excercises ....I need another in My right knee,but I'm not putting Myself through all that again as the pain was horrendous.
May darlin' - I've had both knees replaced and I can recommend a good surgeon down my part of the world - he's a big man, but a 'gentle giant'.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
May darlin' - I've had both knees replaced and I can recommend a good surgeon down my part of the world - he's a big man, but a 'gentle giant'.
Joe Darlin',even if big JC came down to Earth and offered to do it..,I STILL wouldn't ...There's no-one coming near Me again with a knife unless it's accompanied by a nice juicy steak
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 09:14 PM

I had my knees completely replaced in 1993, the left in Sept and the right one in Dec. Both times I got blood clots in my lower leg...had to lay still and rehab didn't start for 14 days. In 2001 the left knee got wobbly and had it replaced the 2nd time. Had a bad time of it and almost didn't recover. Took almost a year before I walked with out a cane. Had some good years, then the left knee started hurting again and gets worse every year until at this time I have to use a walker and some days are so bad it hurts too much for even that...but now my back is also very sore.
The Dr tells me there is nothing wrong with my knee...went to 3 orthopedic Drs...one says it is bursitis. Anyway where the artificial knee attaches below my knee is hot and swollen all the time. I take Oxycontin for pain but helps only a little. Took so much strong Tylenol that I had kidney failure 3 years ago and Dr says that was from all the Tylenol for years. Got over that and kidneys fine now.
I am 77 years old and barely able to take care of myself...have little to enjoy of life, rarely leave my room. No Dr says there is any help left for me. If I sit I have to continuely move my knees so they don't get so stiff I can't move them but they don't hurt much...but my back does, so lay down and back is good but knees hurt.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

18-07-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ShirleyMarie ->
I had my knees completely replaced in 1993, the left in Sept and the right one in Dec. Both times I got blood clots in my lower leg...had to lay still and rehab didn't start for 14 days. In 2001 the left knee got wobbly and had it replaced the 2nd time. Had a bad time of it and almost didn't recover. Took almost a year before I walked with out a cane. Had some good years, then the left knee started hurting again and gets worse every year until at this time I have to use a walker and some days are so bad it hurts too much for even that...but now my back is also very sore.
The Dr tells me there is nothing wrong with my knee...went to 3 orthopedic Drs...one says it is bursitis. Anyway where the artificial knee attaches below my knee is hot and swollen all the time. I take Oxycontin for pain but helps only a little. Took so much strong Tylenol that I had kidney failure 3 years ago and Dr says that was from all the Tylenol for years. Got over that and kidneys fine now.
I am 77 years old and barely able to take care of myself...have little to enjoy of life, rarely leave my room. No Dr says there is any help left for me. If I sit I have to continuely move my knees so they don't get so stiff I can't move them but they don't hurt much...but my back does, so lay down and back is good but knees hurt.

Shirley darlin' - that's awful!!! - whilst no cure per se, if you have any money - get yourself a riser/recliner armchair (go onto my profile page and see the photos of me sitting (laying) in it) It's supremely comfortable as it has its own foot stool which rises as the back of the chair reclines.
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 07:07 PM

UJ, I have had 3 of those chairs, love them! Now I only have my room and little room for one, but if I could get one I' find a spot for it! NO room and no money either. I had a breathing problem once that had me sleeping in that chair for 2 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top