Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Cat deterrents

I would be really pleased to hear from anybody who has discovered a really good cat repellent which will not harm plants or soil.
I had the envious job of clearing up no less than 13 piles of cat poo in my front garden recently, it's beyond a joke, as I haven't even got a cat - the people living opposite have got 3.
I don't want to have to gravel it over or something similar, but I'm really fed up with this situation. I tried a product called 'Get Off', but it only worked for a few days.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Re: Cat deterrents

Isn't there a device that emits some kind of sound that scares them off? I agree, they can be bloomin nuisance when the poo all over your garden or rake parts of your flower bed up. If see one in my garden, I let the dogs out and they soon stop coming back.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Holly and rose clippings, they don't like the scratchy bits so keep off the soil. Or don't dig over the borders as they don't like having to dig a real hole, much prefer easy to dig areas.

Or get a terrier or two they will see off all comers !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Mornin' BV. Thanks, but I daren't let the dogs out - a) because that particular flower bed is too near the road and they might get run over, and b) I am trying to teach them not to chase my friend's cats when we go visiting her, so it would confuse them to get praised for chasing some, and get a clip round the ear for chasing others.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-08-2013, 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;328976

Or get a terrier or two they will see off all comers ![/QUOTE]

Thanks Julie, already got 4 dogs who do a good job of keeping the squirrels from wrecking my bird feeders and burying walnuts in all my flower tubs, but like I said to BV, this particular bed is too close to a quite busy road and it wouldn't be safe. Thanks for the input though.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 11:40 AM

You could always adopt a cat of your own - they are very territorial !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 11:46 AM

My friend had this problem and a cat alarm worked a treat apparently.

Amazon Cat Alarms
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 12:11 PM

If you already have 4 dogs be careful of sonic devices a neighbour of a friend of ours uses one and it affects her dogs too.

You could put some dog poop in the front of your garden it may scare off the cats if they think they could be got by the leaver of the poo.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 12:33 PM

There is a water spitter which works on IR.
When something breaks the beam it clicks and shoots little streams of water out.
Got rid of cat in one garden and fox in another.

edit. stopped paperboy walking across garden too.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 12:33 PM

I have recently had my front garden 'dunnup' ~ bricks and gravel and it looks good.
The problem is that the gravel area has caught the eye of a small black cat and is evidently a great new pussy loo.
I share my life with 2 pussycats but they do not go out the front and I will not use chemicals anyway.

What I have done is to put plastic netting over the gravel ~ it doesn't show at all and has worked a treat

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top