Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Spreadable butter

In truth I am not sure how much or even if this saves money but when we found I was allergic to spreadable butters we entered a new world of rock hard butter spreading especially in the mornings which was annoying. So went on line and discovered it was possible to make ordinary butter into spreadable butter really easily.

Take one measure of butter (I do a pound at a time as it keeps in the fridge fine) and 1/3 measure of vegetable oil, you can use olive oil I am told that is better but I am allergic to that too so haven't tried it. Blend it together, I find a mechanical method best , stick blender won't work well but a hand held mixer or kenwood type bowl mixer is best. Just mix it until it is all blended and there you have spreadable butter with out all the e numbers and what nots.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 10:03 AM

Re: Spreadable butter

I just use a knife in jug of hot water to make butter spreadable I wouldn't want to add anything to it to spoil the taste.

Another old tip to make a small quantity of butter spreadable is to put it in a basin with a tablespoon of hot water and mash with a fork. At the hot water takes the chill from the butter it cools/separates and can be tipped away leaving just the butter in the basin
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 10:12 AM

I've done both of those before and yes they work well I just wanted something we could all spread easily - seeing Grace with a slab the size of a concrete block struggling made me think must be better way, also I haven't found it spoils the taste I have been told you can add milk powder if you wish too but haven't found any of us need it.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 07:44 PM

I just never keep my butter in the fridge at all...I put half the slab into a china butter dish with lid and leave it out on my kitchen worktop and I have spreadable butter anytime of day.
Yes it does get very spreadable in summertime and I have even had to zap it in the microwave for ONLY 5 seconds and that does the trick too if its straight from the fridge.
Theres nothing can touch the real taste of organic butter mmm
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 05:01 PM

I never keep my butter (at least the block I'm using) in the fridge either. Don't see the point.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 06:51 PM

We make our own Julie, we use two blocks of Tesco everyday butter, chop it up in a bowl, pour in 200ml of sunflower oil and mix it up with a potato masher. We have done this for years now and it spreads beautifully straight out of the fridge.j
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Lurpak spreads straight from the fridge.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

30-06-2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Lurpak spreads straight from the fridge.
At that price it should not only spread but do a song and dance on my plate
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 02:25 PM

I am another one who does not keep the butter I am using every day in the fridge. If it should be really to hard to spread in the winter, 10 seconds in the micro wave is normally plenty of time to make it spreadable.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
At that price it should not only spread but do a song and dance on my plate

Well I like it much better than the Flora I used to use. I get the Lurpak Light - spreadable. It's always kept in the fridge, yet spreads lovely.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top