Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Re: What flooring

I have vinyl in the hall with carpet runners, in the kitchen I have vinyl planks, they're non-slip & very easy to put down and keep clean.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I have vinyl in the hall with carpet runners, in the kitchen I have vinyl planks, they're non-slip & very easy to put down and keep clean.
I saw these vinyl planks in B& q and like the look and feel of them and considered putting them in the hall , only one thing put me off and that was the vinyl covering was beginning to peel back , I don't know if someone had done this or if it was a natural occurrence ,have you had any problem like this?.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2013, 09:08 PM

No, I found it very simple and stuck very well. I had them in my last place, the landlord made me take them up in the bathroom before I moved, my ex found out just how well they stuck! I would have them everywhere if I could, so easy to clean.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Ive laminate with a few rugs all through including the bathroom & the kitchen has quarry tiles.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Getting rid of the carpets has reduced the dust tremendously.
I'd just like to add that for years my wife used shake & vac or alternative to that on all of our carpeted areas but we didn't realise just how much of that adds to the unbelievable amounts of dust that accumulate in and under carpets!

When we took up all the hall, stairs & landing carpet we ended up with half a standard-sized bucket of sand-like residue from the shake & vac and dust, which for me is a no-no as I'm asthmatic!

We don't have the option of going back to bare boards because this is an ex-council house and quite frankly the floor boards are basically c**p and we hate laminar flooring with a passion so carpet is the only choice in most of our house, except the bathroom which I fitted cork tiling to a few years ago.

Our house is 1926-built so drafts are a bit of a problem and we've adapted what was the "3-door outhouse" into an extension of the kitchen because our kitchen is so tiny but there's also a loo.

What used to be the coal store now houses our fridge-freezer, tumble dryer and various other often-used items and gardening wear but sooner or later we're going to redecorate it and put a lino flooring into both areas, mainly because it's the easiest to keep clean!

Coming in from hanging out washing or gardening brings with it muck that ruins carpet, especially if it's wet or raining! stevmk2
GDAD
Sydney Australia
GDAD is male  GDAD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Kitchen,hallway, dining room, front door to rear door CERAMIC TILES
bedrooms & lounge room CARPET.
THE HIGH TRAFFIC AREA IS EASY TO CLEAN, IN WET WEATHER & DRY.
JUST A VACUUM & STEAM CLEANER.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Bamboo flooring. Pale yellow/green, hard wearing and can be grown quickly.
http://www.saleflooringdirect.co.uk/...FYMfwwod4SsAwQ
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Right,, ive just been and made my choice for the hall and its going to be vinyl,also wood effect vinyl for a bedroom .End of next week they will measure up .I couldnt make my mind up about the other rooms ,that is the sitting room and another bedroom .
this shop also edges by whipping any off cuts of carpets ,ive a remnant stored away that i could have done ..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 08:28 PM

When I bought this house, the first thing I did was to rip up and dump the new laminate flooring - about 50 sq.mtrs of it. IMO, the dump is the only place for it. I wouldn't have minded proper polished floorboards, but laminate is cold, noisy hard to keep clean. I've replaced it with vinyl in the bathroom and kitchen and carpet elsewhere. The rest of the floors were carpeted - not a bad carpet, but plain biege and it showed up every mark. I've replaced it too.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 12:08 PM

A few pointers

Solid wood - only good down to the nails. Sanding to restore surface means you have to stop at the nail heads...

Oak strip is the most popular, engineered finished or unfinished, the latter requires time and effort, although cost may be lower to buy.

Factory textured after planks are planed is an option. Alternatively for the old look, re-cycled engineered or vintage distressed.

Engineered is more stable as it is glued and laminated, and of course, finished for laying.

Paver made from re-cycled end cuts of beams, and grouted with ground cork. Of course, the common herringbone pattern may appeal, either from a reclamation yard or new stock. If restoring a pre-war property, may be aesthetically more suitable.

Floating floors are popular where a property has solid floors. Laying a membrane first gives a softer feel to the foot, but ensure the old floor surface is bone dry. A new screed may take months to cure and dry.....

Top coating depends on the users. Noise transmission is worse with thin laminates, and are banned in some multi story properties.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top