Join for free
Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Re: Being old is boring

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Maybe you just grew up & got a conscience.
I have heard of people who used to shoot animals for fun becoming wildlife conservationists. Ditto birders, who stole eggs & shot birds then turned to just watching & filming them instead.
Yes ... growing up and attaining wisdom, a conscience would be it.

However, should we add to the equasion that many serial killers, in their youth, would torture/kill wildlife.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Yes ... growing up and attaining wisdom, a conscience would be it.

However, should we add to the equation that many serial killers, in their youth, would torture/kill wildlife.
Why not ?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Why not ?
It was rhetorical

*smack*
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Going to consider a 6 mile run now. Afterwards, if I have the energy, I will attempt to further this discussion as it definitely warrants the effort. I have some ideas taking shape and it will be interesting to see where they will lead (to me if no-one else).
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Indeed but I think there is far more to it than this. For one thing the 'young' have all sorts of hormones surging through their bodies which undoubtedly affects their moods and thoughts. Is wisdom then a lessening of these substances more often than not? After all what 'experiences' would have changed my attitude to fishing or hunting? Nothing I can think of bar for less adrenalin or testosterone flowing in my veins. I can see where I'm going with this - back to the old primitives .

I am a bit hesitant in posting this, MJK in case I sound a bit strange or a bit deep for a forum like his. I find it difficult to explain - but here goes - I'll take a punt.

I wonder if these changes we undergo as we become older - are necessary/essential for most people. - In a way they prepare us for our own death. We come to realise and accept that we are not immortal - everything is in a continual state of flux and continues on - with or without us. We start to understand that our actions often have a knock on effect and usually a consequence (in whatever small way) for something or someone, e.g. the fish. These actions/consequences can be positive or negative. I am not saying that we become "goody goodies" - unbearable self righteous bores, or so sensitive we can't function, but I think we rationalise more and accept responsibility for our actions along with a certain degree of responsibility for others this will shape and determine what we do - things we did once, we no longer need to do, with or without the testosterone drive.

We go through life being bombarded with "stuff" - gathering - sifting and sorting - and translating information, experiences and knowledge within ourselves in our own unique way, internalising and building ourselves, discarding some things and sometimes breaking ourselves down to start again, until - if we are lucky - we will have built our own unique "wall" which is strong. We allow ourselves to become compassionate and sometimes allow others to share some of our strengths and again, if we are lucky, there will also be some folks who will share our difficulties or weaknesses until we can cope better ourselves and get on with our "wall."
Sadly, some never build their wall no matter how old they get, but for most of us we are able to get far enough towards the completion of our "wall." - Then we die

I was right - I'm talking rubbish - just ignore me and carry on
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:59 PM

Makes perfect sense to me, Aerolor.
We all need friends.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I am a bit hesitant in posting this, MJK in case I sound a bit strange or a bit deep for a forum like his. I find it difficult to explain - but here goes - I'll take a punt.

I wonder if these changes we undergo as we become older - are necessary/essential for most people. - In a way they prepare us for our own death. We come to realise and accept that we are not immortal - everything is in a continual state of flux and continues on - with or without us. We start to understand that our actions often have a knock on effect and usually a consequence (in whatever small way) for something or someone, e.g. the fish. These actions/consequences can be positive or negative. I am not saying that we become "goody goodies" - unbearable self righteous bores, or so sensitive we can't function, but I think we rationalise more and accept responsibility for our actions along with a certain degree of responsibility for others and this will shape and determine what we do - things we did once, but no longer need to do, with or without the testosterone drive.

We go through life being bombarded with "stuff" - gathering - sifting and sorting - and translating information, experiences and knowledge within ourselves in our own unique way, internalising and building ourselves, discarding some things and sometimes breaking ourselves down to start again, until - if we are lucky - we will have built our own unique "wall" which is strong. We allow ourselves to become compassionate and sometimes allow others to share some of our strengths and again, if we are lucky, there will also be some folks who will share our difficulties or weaknesses until we can cope better ourselves and get on with our "wall."
Sadly, some never build their wall no matter how old they get, but for most of us we are able to get far enough towards the completion of our "wall." - Then we die

I was right - I'm talking rubbish - just ignore me and carry on
Brilliant. Thought provoking.

I will study your reply in-depth later on.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->

I wonder if these changes we undergo as we become older - are necessary/essential for most people. - In a way they prepare us for our own death. We come to realise and accept that we are not immortal - everything is in a continual state of flux and continues on - with or without us. We start to understand that our actions often have a knock on effect and usually a consequence (in whatever small way) for something or someone, e.g. the fish. These actions/consequences can be positive or negative. I am not saying that we become "goody goodies" - unbearable self righteous bores, or so sensitive we can't function, but I think we rationalise more and accept responsibility for our actions along with a certain degree of responsibility for others and this will shape and determine what we do - things we did once, but no longer need to do, with or without the testosterone drive.

Nicely put
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 06:33 PM

+ 1 A great reply. This appears to be a very deep subject and possibly, out of my league. Do you feel depressed, stressed or just fed up? If you feel that bad, why not spend a day with Gravyarse - I'm sure that you'll feel a lot happier after that
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 06:38 PM

I take it that MKJ means we loose our interest and enthusiasm for certain things in life.
Hardly surprising when we are forced fed the eternal Eurovision Song Contest , remembering Sandy Shaw, Abba, Bucks Fizz, Brotherhood of Man, Lulu........

I think we are entitled to sit with mouth wide open now, aghast, and think that life was so much better even the songs, and how we're tired of this stuff now. Empathy MKJ, empathy.

You need a naughty weekend away with the bowling club.

Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top