Join for free
Page 65 of 370 « First < 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 09:50 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
As an aside, I am not liking what is in the mirror these days. While my running distances have been the same and I feel strong enough, I am SURE that I am losing muscle mass in my quadriceps, hamstrings, etc. and need to do something to mitigate this ...more cycling, perhaps? More hill running? This will never do....
Cycling and walking briskly for miles are my forms of exercise. I wouldn't be able to run due to breaking a kneecap into 3 bits over 30 years ago. It rarely hurts now but I'm sure pounding the knee joint by running wouldn't be good for it. Also, a cancer operation (done at about the same time I broke my kneecap) left my stomach muscles cut almost across the entire width of my middle, so I mustn't do anything that puts too much strain on that. Already got a small belly button hernia from ignoring the fact I was nearly cut in half and stitched back up again.

However (I'm pleased to say there is a however) despite that, I'm very fit these days. I'm sure I'd do fine in a 'brisk walking' contest. I can keep the pace up for miles. Also the same with cycling. I still do a few rides a week of ten miles at a time and can do them at a pace that belies my age (72). I wonder if I could still do the 57 miles I did 20 years ago (Camberley, Surrey to Southsea, Hampshire). Hmm ..maybe not.

This brings me to the leg muscles. Like most walkers and cyclists, the leg and backside muscles aren't big but they are quite strong. In fact, being good at walking and cycling requires a body to be a bit on the skinny side.

I got the mickey taken out of me for being skinny and asthmatic when I was growing up but the asthma cleared up and being skinny has paid off at this end of life. I'm a lot fitter and more energetic than many of my age ..and even some who are quite a bit younger than me. I know this won't last forever but we do what we do while we can.

All in all, cycling is good for all leg muscles. Walking at a pace is I think what keeps the bum in shape ...plus both forms of exercise are good for the respiratory organs of course. My muscles are not big but perhaps rather well-shaped. Well, as much as they can be for a 72 year-old bloke anyway.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 03:49 AM

Interesting, Floydy, thank you for the elaboration. I would like to add more leg work to my week, but because surfing and running are so important to me, I live in fear of blowing out a knee. As such, I'm curious what others are doing in regards to finding that fine line between building muscle and not causing injury.

Mart, I am just amazed by your fitness level at 72, and am encouraged by your success cycling and fast walking. There are a surprising number of people who have chimed in on this thread about coming back from injury and illness - only to become more fit than most people their age - and your story is very impressive.

While we know all the happy benefits of trying to stay fit, the combination of physical and mental fortitude that it takes to come back from illness and injury puts us nose-to-nose with younger generations and particularly - our younger selves . I am taking your advice and that of others and getting on that bike more often.

Recovery day today - went to an evening baseball game. Fun to watch someone else working out those muscles for a change.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Today's exercise will consist of a walk to and from the hospital (Mrs Mart has an appointment). This is a round trip of 5.5 miles. I hope it doesn't rain.

A 10 mile bike ride this afternoon ..if it doesn't rain. I'm a 'fair weather only' exerciser.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Interesting, Floydy, thank you for the elaboration. I would like to add more leg work to my week, but because surfing and running are so important to me, I live in fear of blowing out a knee. As such, I'm curious what others are doing in regards to finding that fine line between building muscle and not causing injury.
You are wise to be cautious about overdoing any kind of weight-bearing exercises, Surfermom, especially those which affect the joints in the legs. The upper body suffers more with muscle damage than tendon and bone wear, but then again, the back is usually the first to be affected injury-wise.

I've been thinking too about packing in leg extensions, because of my knee damage. A more sensible option is to reduce the weight on this exercise, but still do some light work as the inner quad muscles still need some exercise that leg presses won't fulfil. So perhaps three short sets of 10-12 with a 'just-manageable' weight should suffice.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Today's exercise will consist of a walk to and from the hospital (Mrs Mart has an appointment). This is a round trip of 5.5 miles. I hope it doesn't rain.

A 10 mile bike ride this afternoon ..if it doesn't rain. I'm a 'fair weather only' exerciser.
Walking is a great way to limber up and shake off those sitting down blues. Keeps the circulation going fine. And a 10-mile bike ride is just brilliant, Mart. Hats off to you for doing that...if it doesn't rain of course!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2017, 03:59 PM

A typically average weekday session for me today, especially for a Monday when I’m always a bit whacked from my Sunday night return back to work.
I stuck with some ‘push’ exercises, rather than a full upper body which would have been rushed. All went fine with some moderate improvement from last week’s session.

Monday 14/8/17

DB press, 15° bench:
10x20’s
8x24’s
8x26’s
8x28’s
4x32’s
*Last time I only managed 20kg lifts on these, which was abysmal at the time. But I was rather rusty. Soon got back into it.

Shoulder press:
5x70
5x80
3x90
4x90
*Nice, steady 90 max again there.

Single DB raise, flat bench:
33x50
31x50
23x50
13x50
*Total of 100 reps. Hits the triceps very nicely.

Smith push press, 15°, c/g:
10x40
10x40
10x40
4x50
*I normally do these on a flat bench because the incline aches my back somewhat causing slight pain. My solution was to inset the foam bar cushion between the bench and my back which solved the problem.

Tricep extensions:
12x50
12x65
12x75
6x80
*Powering down that stack today!

Ab crunch:
20x50
15x60
10x70
40x40
*Increased the reps on this today, plus a good blast of high reps to finish.

Time: 1 hour.

Happy with that and back into my stride I think, which is more than can be said for my knees where the arthritis (or whatever it is) suddenly spread down to my lower right leg last night causing me to limp around in great pain. I have no idea why this happened, but I’ll have to monitor the situation and maybe get back to the doc’s if it gets any worse. It's very strange because so far today (touch wood, I've been fine)

As most of you may have noticed on another thread, on Thursday this week my wife will be going into hospital for a major operation. She has been complaining for some time about pains in her lower abdomen and a couple of weeks ago found out that she has a cancerous tumour in her womb area and is being sent in for a hysterectomy. This will involve removing said womb, falopian tubes, uterus and all that goes with it. She will be very poorly for a few weeks afterwards and depending on the success of the operation (or not) she may need chemotherapy or radiotherapy, which hopefully will not be the case. We’re all very worried about her and I’ll be taking some time off work to be there with her all the time as she won’t be able to do anything around the house. My gym work will be the lowest of my priorities.

Thanks for reading.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

14-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Walking is a great way to limber up and shake off those sitting down blues. Keeps the circulation going fine. And a 10-mile bike ride is just brilliant, Mart. Hats off to you for doing that...if it doesn't rain of course!
I have an admission to make. I did the 5.5 mile walk but not the 10 mile bike ride.

We have some friends who are away for a few weeks. They said I can go to their large allotment and help myself to the fruit and veg. they grow there.

I cycled there but it is only a couple of miles away. Mind you, cycling back with the saddlebag and panniers stuffed with fruit and veg. must count for something. A bit like running with back pack on perhaps.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I have an admission to make. I did the 5.5 mile walk but not the 10 mile bike ride.

We have some friends who are away for a few weeks. They said I can go to their large allotment and help myself to the fruit and veg. they grow there.

I cycled there but it is only a couple of miles away. Mind you, cycling back with the saddlebag and panniers stuffed with fruit and veg. must count for something. A bit like running with back pack on perhaps.
All credit to you anyway Mart for even getting your bike out. I was a very keen cyclist all my life but mine's been gathering dust for three years now!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:39 PM

I Hope Mrs Floydy's operation is successful and makes a full recovery Floydy. Send her my best wishes......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

14-08-2017, 09:34 PM

I quickly came in to mention how the exercise had gone and failed to read your entire post Floydy. I hope your good lady recovers quickly and that no further treatment will be necessary.

All the best to both of you.

Page 65 of 370 « First < 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top