Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Re: Giving up dairy

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have noted that some people get evangelistic when taking on a new diet.
What can happen is they narrow their food choices so much the diet becomes uninterested and difficult to maintain.
After a short time the new diet is never mentioned again .
Have to confess I was like that when I gave up sugar.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Have to confess I was like that when I gave up sugar.
I think many of us have 'been there' over the years Julie with one food or another
I certainly have and now stick to variety and moderation from which I don't feel the need to deviate
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 01:39 PM

I have noted that some people get evangelistic when taking on a new diet.
What can happen is they narrow their food choices so much the diet becomes uninterested and difficult to maintain.
After a short time the new diet is never mentioned again .
The Atkins Diet,The Cambridge Diet, etc all have enjoyed evangelistic popularity. I know, because even though still slim enough to cause envy, friends have done their best to convert me to what they see as a better way to eat.

I still eat the same healthy diet and they have given up on their diets.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 01:40 PM

I've found giving up ANY food You are used to just starts a craving for it given time....I sometime add rice/almond milk in My porridge in the morning as it tastes quite nice,but I wouldn't give up semi-skimmed as I like it in tea/coffee..I don't eat a lot of cheese,but I do have plain yogurt with berries every day...cream is a treat...I slipped on black ice a couple of years ago and broke My collar bone,..had a bone scan and was told My bones were the thickest strongest She'd seen in Someone over 65,so to just keep on doing as I was doing...so I have and I will continue.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I´m not really concerned about the fats Art, for me it´s the lactose. I only ever risk anything with lactose if I am within running distance of a toilet Truly it works that fast !
My son was born without the enzyme that deals with lactose, what a nightmare that was ! Rushed to hospital and spent the first 2 years of his life in hospital for a month, home for a week, back to hospital and so it went. He had to have special baby food and vitamins. As he got older it became less of a problem as the variety of food he could have was more extensive. Now he´s like me, if he´s going to be tempted, he needs to be close to a toilet
I know this feeling all too well!
If I sucumb to a cornet I make sure I am near home .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I drink full fat milk and I have cream on my porridge so I was shocked last year to discover my Vit D levels were dangerously low and I was put on a mega high course of Vitamin D tablets.
It could have been to do with me dodging the sun as you are told it's dangerous to expose your skin too long in the sun. The doctor told me that a bloodtest for Vit D levels is now included in blood testing, especially for people in our age group.
Art the same thing happened to my brother .
He had lost weight and hardly ate anything and kept saying he was tired . Being as stubbon as a mule he refused to go to a doctor saying it was 'old age ' he is only in his early fifties .
At last through dedicated nagging I managed to get him to go and it was found he was deficient in Vit D he had to have injections and the tablets . After six months the change in him was dramatic .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 02:10 PM

Hi

Not eating dairy around here is a major crime.

Locally we produce over 2 million yoghurts a day, 1500 tons of butter a week and hundreds of tons of cheese.

The big Cold Store has 124,000 pallets of dairy products at any time.

Vegetarians are somewhat few and far between as well, there are 5 million chickens within a few miles.

To each their own, I quite like cooking a vegetarian meal, but you have to do it in the privacy of your own home with the curtains drawn.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-01-2016, 02:14 PM

I once had some vegans for a dinner party a traumatic experience I hope never to repeat!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 02:29 PM

I am sure you know already Loretta that people from certain parts of the world are predisposed to have a lactose intolerance (as do a large proportion of dogs after the first few week in life) .
They do eat cheese though because apparently the cheese making process removes most of the lactose
I didn't know an awful lot about certain people being predisposed to lactose intolerance but I don't think I fit into any of those particular groups. I had an English mother and a French father, no backgrounds relating to other countries, some of my son's father's past relatives had some Jewish family background, but that's all. We are obviously just "oddballs" Cheese, well I'm okay with cooked cheese, but a normal cheese sandwich and I'm on standby !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I know this feeling all too well!
If I sucumb to a cornet I make sure I am near home .
I never eat ice cream at home, occasionally an ice cream parlour type place, after having checked out the nearest table to the toilets

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top