Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Too old to drive?

I was interested in an article this morning ( Mail online) asking
when is one too doddery to drive and giving some horrific examples.
Having once been in a car driven by a 77 year old, who though I didn't know it , had dementia , I feel lucky to have survived so frightening was it.
It was suggested that much more stringent tests need to be introduced for over 70s, rather than self certification.
Will you give up driving if you become doddery?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Re: Too old to drive?

IN NSW you have to get a doctors certificate to hold a drivers licence after 75 and after 85 take a driving test every year. So I am not worried.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
I was interested in an article this morning ( Mail online) asking
when is one too doddery to drive and giving some horrific examples.
Having once been in a car driven by a 77 year old, who though I didn't know it , had dementia , I feel lucky to have survived so frightening was it.
It was suggested that much more stringent tests need to be introduced for over 70s, rather than self certification.
Will you give up driving if you become doddery?
I have made my children promise to remove my car keys as soon as they think I am unfit to drive. I have no wish to be like my mother who was still driving in her late 80s when in no condition to do so.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:45 AM

I hope I have the sense to do so, but having fought with my father to stop driving when he was ill I think it must be hard to admit to yourself you are failing.

My grandad we had to steal his bicycle from him to stop him cycling dangerously.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:54 AM

I understand drivers under the age of 25 are involved in 85% of car accidents.
Give me an older experienced driver any day to a young driver.

I have already given up driving long journeys having once confidently driven all over the country . The roads are just too busy now and full of impatient people many of whom are also incompetent drivers.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Something bugging me at the moment is the number if drivers that really can't see well enough to drive they range in age from young to old. It should be mandatory to have an eye test annually IMO
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 12:19 PM

It is something that bothers me a bit if I think about it. I just can't imagine being too old to drive and I would not be happy waiting for a bus. Perhaps the urge diminishes gradually, over time, a bit like life itself.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand drivers under the age of 25 are involved in 85% of car accidents.
Give me an older experienced driver any day to a young driver.

I have already given up driving long journeys having once confidently driven all over the country . The roads are just too busy now and full of impatient people many of whom are also incompetent drivers.
Quite true Meg, and I bet most of those young people were driving either a BMW or an Audi......
Under 25's should only be allowed to drive Fiat 500's or equivalent in my opinion.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It is something that bothers me a bit if I think about it. I just can't imagine being too old to drive and I would not be happy waiting for a bus. Perhaps the urge diminishes gradually, over time, a bit like life itself.
I am hoping I won't be working when it happens so a taxi will be cheaper to hire each week rather than running a car. It only costs £10 to get into heart of town from here, owning a car costs far more than that each week.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Aw Longdogs, I just love using public transport with my free buss pass, even though I enjoy driving. I would never dream of visiting my local town in the car. Parking costs the earth, and the roads are always gridlocked and full of potholes.....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top