Join for free
Page 33 of 70 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 10:22 PM

Re: Gay marriage

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Bit racist.
Meh.... I've gotten a bit used to it on this site.. Everytime I debate something and disagree with someone.. or say something in a way someone gets their panties bunched over, it's because I am a big ole' meanie American.. Not many Yanks stay around here...But I'm just stuborn enough to stay and be a thorn...
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Meh.... Not many Yanks stay around here...
That's very true.. shame really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate;531115.

We had to very gay male cats and I have seen two very gay female dogs. [B
One of the dogs had a phantom pregnancy[/B].

That's hormonal though CC, nothing to do with them being 'gay'.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Maybe that's kind of the point (not extinction but population reduction). There is a theory (The Gaia Hypothesis) which postulates that the earth (as personified in Gaia) is a self-regulating mechanism. Maybe increasing levels of non-reproductive sexuality (although I have no idea if homosexuality is actually increasing or if it is more visible because it is more acceptable), is a response to the increasing overcrowding of our planet - Gaia's way of reducing population growth.

Interesting theory MickB.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
You stated in your opening post that you were not sure how you felt... after all the replies do you still feel the same?
Sue, I'm still not sure about gay marriage but have nothing against people who are gay.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Interesting theory MickB.
Interesting, and if true, it would make gay relationships not only totally "natural" but also beneficial to the world.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Nope... only time we say POOF... is when something disappears.. and in "POOF!" it was gone!. I have no feelings about the word.. it means nothing to me. Guess it's like the word bloody. It has no meaning here except for what happens when someone is injured.

Funny thing... all are just WORDS.. It's the cultures that make them acceptable or not.

I would however appreciate a PM in the future if I say something that is not acceptable in the UK. No need to embarass someone is there?
So.... "poof" is socially unacceptable in the UK, am I understanding this correctly? I had to look it up. Me being a dumb American, "poof" to me means something that has suddenly disappeared. But let's look at things from a different angle - the word "fag", which is widely used in the UK to mean a cigarette, is a derogatory term for homosexual in the US.

Funny, that.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Meh.... I've gotten a bit used to it on this site.. Everytime I debate something and disagree with someone.. or say something in a way someone gets their panties bunched over, it's because I am a big ole' meanie American.. Not many Yanks stay around here...But I'm just stuborn enough to stay and be a thorn...
Me too, although I don't say much. I don't always have anything worthwhile to talk about.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
So.... "poof" is socially unacceptable in the UK, am I understanding this correctly? I had to look it up. Me being a dumb American, "poof" to me means something that has suddenly disappeared. But let's look at things from a different angle - the word "fag", which is widely used in the UK to mean a cigarette, is a derogatory term for homosexual in the US.

Funny, that.
What is wrong with being corrected though - I am sure you would do the same if it were an American term misused.
I don't understand the gnashing of teeth rather than - I misunderstood ........
Linda0818
USA

02-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
What is wrong with being corrected though - I am sure you would do the same if it were an American term misused.
I don't understand the gnashing of teeth rather than - I misunderstood ........
I never said there was anything wrong with correcting. In fact, that wasn't even the point of my post. I was just making an observation. My post was in no way referring to the 'correcting' going on. I just found it amusing how a word that's perfectly harmless in one country can mean something completely different in another. Which is why I said it was funny.

Page 33 of 70 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top