Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 09:00 AM

Too Late to Leave

How would you feel if the Fire Brigade said that it was too late to leave and to take shelter in your home?

A severe weather warning for damaging winds is threatening to hamper firefighters battling an out-of-control bushfire in Sydney's west that is threatening "dozens" of homes.

On Sunday afternoon, the Rural Fire Service renewed a warning to residents in Londonderry, Llandilo and Berkshire Park that it was too late to leave and to take shelter in their homes.

The fire has grown to almost 300 hectares in size and is burning between The Northern Road, Stony Creek Road and Ninth Avenue.

Late news Sunday 5pm

The NSW Rural Fire Service has downgraded its emergency warning for a fire burning in the western Sydney suburb of Londonderry to watch and act.

Crews said the bushfire, which produced heavy plumes of smoke to cover the area, escalated around lunchtime on Sunday.

"Firefighters, with the assistance of water bombing aircraft have worked hard to gain an upper hand and are holding the fire near Spence Street, Government Road and Llandilo Road," an update just after 5:00pm on Sunday said.

This is the second fire emergency for residents in less than a fortnight, with a "ferocious" fire starting in Cranebrook and spreading to Londonderry and Llandilo on November 3.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Re: Too Late to Leave

How would you feel if the Fire Brigade said that it was too late to leave and to take shelter in your home
Not sure really Bruce, scared no doubt .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Scary! I suppose the cellar/basement would be the best place to go assuming you had one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 12:20 PM

To be honest I think that would be a time I'd need the tena lady items, I hope all are well after this terrible thing to hear said.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 12:30 PM

That's frightening Bruce, I suppose you have to be in that position to know exactly how you would react .... initial panic I think.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 12:31 PM

That's awful, I hope they manage to get the fires under control and nobody gets hurt. I'm not sure what I'd be like if I was told it was too late to leave and stay indoors. I'd probably panic like crazy and pass out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 03:38 AM

Too many people don't have a bush fire plan.

I have an emergency kit of battery radio, torch and some other essentials and at this time of the year I do clear my gutters of leaves etc. However with the place I live in growing I get further from the bush each year. On the down side the escarpment at the back of me hasn't had a fire go through for over 30 years.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top