Join for free
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 03:53 AM

Tesla Batteries to power grid

This will allow solar, wind, other renewable, and excess energy to be stored until needed.

Tesla’s Battery Revolution Just Reached Critical Mass

Tesla Motors Inc. is making a huge bet that millions*of small batteries can be strung*together to help kick fossil fuels off*the grid. The idea is a powerful one—one that’s been used to help justify the company’s $5 billion factory*near Reno, Nev.—but batteries*have so far only appeared in a handful of true, grid-scale pilot projects.* **

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ign=pockethits
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 08:34 AM

Re: Tesla Batteries to power grid

Added to the fact that fusion power could be on the horizon, then our dependency on fossil fuels could be lessening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...uilt-2025.html
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 09:17 AM

This is interesting, although I'm somewhat doubtful about how 'green' this sort of system really would be. Sure, reducing fossil fuel use is a good thing, but what about the manufacture and disposal of batteries, particularly with the short life they are likely to have.
I'm completely off-grid myself with only solar and battery storage, so I know a little about the limitations of stored power
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 11:30 AM

There was a programme on the radio about the use of solar batteries for domestic purposes in China. It was very interesting and indicated that solar batteries were going to be a big thing in the future.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 11:35 AM

I believe our own National Grid are now using a bank of batteries to solve the problem of black-outs in the coming years. There was something about it on TV the other day but I only caught the tail end.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top