Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 05:46 AM

Re: I hope David Cameron and his Cronies are watching

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
with respect Barry, you are so wrong....
Contrary to your assumption that I don't appreciate the bravery enacted by every single soldier, sailor and airman who fought on our behalf from WW1 and every conflict since. Of course their heroism is top of the list. They always will be.
Don't forget all those who were not in uniform either, they too were heroes.

There are different types of heroes. these sportsmen and women are heroes in their own right, whether you believe that by giving them the name is an injustice to the heroes above is solely your opinion. It doesn't mean you are right. I, along with millions of others will always regard military personnel present and past as heroes, but a hero is also someone who gives their all for their country. It doesn't mean they have to pick up a gun to do so. By putting their heart and soul into winning for their country will always make them heroes in my eyes.
Then could you please explain to me what actually makes sportsmen "heroic" over and above anyone else who does what they are paid for whilst in no danger?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Then could you please explain to me what actually makes sportsmen "heroic" over and above anyone else who does what they are paid for whilst in no danger?
Barry, you seem to have this dogged determination to prove your point on what a hero should be. I have not disagreed with you as to true heroes of bravery. but sorry, that is the end of to-ing and fro-ing as far I am concerned,I'm getting bored with it now! I gave you my version of what a hero means to me and that is the end of it.

Well done heroes of Great British sporting achievement. You did us proud, Now hurry home for the biggest parade that Manchester will have seen in a long time.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 08:14 AM

I agree with Barry and others on here.
Where are the parades for the doctors, paramedics, firemen, police, scientists and all others who sacrifice for the sake of others?
Oh and the poor folk in the countries that host the games and could do with the basic necessities of everyday life?
Athletes are not heroic, they just do something they enjoy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 08:51 AM

Oh for heavens sake not everyone can be a doctor ( thank goodness ) and I hadn't noticed ALL doctors sacrificing themselves in some heroic cause .
(unless striking for more dosh is now considered heroic .)
We can't all become Olimpic athletes either but some can and do.
They bring some colour to lives of us lesser mortals who God forbid are just ordinary plebs living a life without being super sportsmen or heroic firemen etc ( forgive me for mentioning that the aforementioned doctors firemen etc do get PAID for their efforts don't they ?
They CHOOSE their professions no one is forcing them nor are the majority doing them for solely altruistic reasons .
They get plenty of job satisfaction to give them a feel good feeling must they get parades as well?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 10:31 AM

But they're not heros!
They're clever, strong, fast etc, but not heroic.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

21-08-2016, 10:35 AM

They're celebrities.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 11:00 AM

I doubt if they're watching, but they'll be congratulating each other on the success of their scheme to keep us happy, even though it's an old, old one. The Romans probably invented the scheme and it's been used over and over since by greedy, rapacious elites and governments, to distract the general herd.
Juvenal was the first to put it in words: 'The people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all else, now concerns itself no more, and longs eagerly for just two things - bread and circuses.'
Adolph Hitler also found it useful in gaining support for his Third Reich. Give the masses parades of fit young people in uniforms, marching up and down holding flags and they'll be carried away into believing they are partaking in triumph, rather than being robbed of everything they own.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

21-08-2016, 11:10 AM

Ooo that's deep! I'd better read it again before I agree and get told off!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 11:24 AM

What a cheerful bunch .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
But they're not heros!
They're clever, strong, fast etc, but not heroic.
Not every doctor fireman or paramedic is a hero either .
Some are others do their jobs and some do their jobs badly .
Being a medic doesn't automatically raise them to the ranks of heros .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top