Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Re: Oven cleaning services..

Ovens2U cleaned my double oven cooker recently and made a good job, took several hours. It is a franchise, so one person working for himself, therefore even the same company will only be as good as the person performing the task.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 10:27 PM

I'm still waiting for some kind soul to explain to me why ovens need cleaning. You'll be telling me next that I should clean my car - now there's a complete waste of energy! There seems to be a 'cleaning fetish' abroad in our fair land - very disturbing...as Older git points out, Quentin Crisp knew a thing or two.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 02:23 AM

I'm with the other two, never cleaned an oven in my life, When they get that bad, buy a new one.

Bet ya oven cleaning involves a lot of unpleasant chemicals that are not good for you.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I'm with the other two, never cleaned an oven in my life, When they get that bad, buy a new one.

Bet ya oven cleaning involves a lot of unpleasant chemicals that are not good for you.
...or the environment. I'll bet professional cooks/chefs rarely bother about a clean oven - gives the food that extra flavour.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
...or the environment. I'll bet professional cooks/chefs rarely bother about a clean oven - gives the food that extra flavour.
Many certainly do and the ovens are then painted with a mix of bicarb and water which makes them easy to clean the next time.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Bruce I didn't think you had ovens in Oz, just B-B-Qs
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
Bruce I didn't think you had ovens in Oz, just B-B-Qs
I didn't say I actually used it.

A microwave is all I need in the house, when I fry I do use the BBQ outside (saves on the cleaning and washing up). I can't remember the last time I turned on the oven, even the stove top is used rarely since the kids left home.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 04:53 PM

I don't use our double oven that much either. We have two microwaves. One is a grill/oven/microwave/combi etc. etc. which suits every day needs, as a rule. The other is for my husband's carers to use as they were a) making such a mess of mine b) broke it a couple of times with cack handed handling of controls c) we were wanting to use it at the same time.

Depends where you are in Oz I suppose, if you can eat outside more or not. My rellies are in Melbourne and it's not that much different to being in the UK.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Had to have ours professionally cleaned. The previous owners never touched it and was full of grease/fat everywhere. Being a 5 ring double oven range the £125 it cost was well worth it, that included the extractor unit as well.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-09-2014, 01:38 AM

I came across this which the writer assured me was her professional method of cleaning ovens when she owned a cleaning company:

Begin by preheating the oven to (70C or 150F degrees (or your LOWEST setting available). While the oven is heating, put on a pot of water to boil. Once the oven has reached (150F OR 70C), TURN IT OFF and pour 1 cup of cloudy ammonia(buy it the cleaning aisle @ supermarket) into a heat safe bowl or baking dish and place it on the top rack of the oven. Place the pot of boiling water on the bottom rack, close the oven door & leave it shut, and leave them both in the oven overnight.

The next morning, open the oven and remove both the bowl of ammonia and the pot of water, keep the ammonia – you’ll use it later. Remove the racks and leave the oven door open to air out for 15 minutes. Add 1-2 teaspoons of dishwashing liquid to the ammonia, along with 4 cups of warm water, and using a heavy-duty nylon scrubbing pad dipped in the ammonia mixture, begin to wipe away the softened grease and grime along the sides and bottom of the oven.
It should be a fairly easy job at this point. Wear some kitchen gloves, since ammonia can be caustic to skin. Rinse/wipe clean with a damp cloth.

TIP: use gloves and if you are sensitive use a mask…although once you open the oven the next morning there is little fume and there is no steam left.

I expect you will all have sparkling ovens by Sunday. get to it!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top