Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 04:03 PM

Paint Brushes and Rollers

Hi

I am currently painting the hall, landing and stairs.

A tip I came across really does work.

Wrap the brushes and rollers tightly in kitchen foil and stick them in the fridge when you have finished for the day.

The following morning, they are ready for use, no need to clean and dry them overnight.

Works a treat, especially if, like me, you are doing a job that takes days to finish.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Re: Paint Brushes and Rollers

Agree - it does work
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 04:26 PM

I always wrap them overnight, not in the fridge though, always ready to use the next day.
Such a pain cleaning them every time.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 04:33 PM

don't they pong the fridge out swimfeeders??
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
don't they pong the fridge out swimfeeders??
Hi

I used to just wrap them in clingfilm and leave them out.

Wrapping them in kitchen foil and then putting them in the fridge i have found so much better.

No, emulsion etc does not pong the fridge out, oil based paints, such as gloss would I imagine, it would all depend on how tightly you wrap them.

Brushes used for gloss paint can be put in the freezer, no smell there.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I used to just wrap them in clingfilm and leave them out.

Wrapping them in kitchen foil and then putting them in the fridge i have found so much better.

No, emulsion etc does not pong the fridge out, oil based paints, such as gloss would I imagine, it would all depend on how tightly you wrap them.

Brushes used for gloss paint can be put in the freezer, no smell there.
Being as emulsion can be washed out of brushes in a couple of mins what is the point. Do you keep the brushes next to the maggots, not that it matters in my house as it is impossible to get BA in our fridge.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 06:32 PM

I stick my DIY brushes in poly sarnie bags but only for a few hours really.
If I'm stopping painting for the day I usually clean them properly.

My dad used to bung his in a jam jar of wt spirit or something and they were usually a mess and a funny shape lol but, as a commercial artist, I soon realised that brushes cost a load of dosh and must be kept in pristine condition
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 06:36 PM

I wrap them in cling film but don't put them in the fridge and they are always ok.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 08:06 PM

I just get the cheap brushes and rollers from the pound shop, and throw them away after use.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 08:53 AM

I put them inside a plastic bag, make sure the bag is in contact with all of the bristles (or roller). Wrap the bag around the handle to expel and keep the air out.

With the painting finished, I used to put all brushes in a jar of white spirit or brush cleaner to await cleaning. This was most often put off for so long that they dried out and went as solid as a rock.

I have got a couple of good quality brushes that I try to discipline myself into cleaning straight away but for some jobs, I'll buy a set of inexpensive brushes or a roller and throw them away when done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top