Join for free
Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Re: Our stance on moderation

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
As I said - I agree with you
No one expects a mod to be there 24 hours either, but when a post 'is' reported, to be looked at and just an idea - let the reporters know, by posting on that thread - that it has been looked at and the outcome of that. Rather than prolonging the situation.
Ah so we carry a laptop around everwhere just in case a report comes in do we and leap to attention when it does
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ah so we carry a laptop around everwhere just in case a report comes in do we and leap to attention when it does
No Meg - I just think 2 days is too long .......
I know Azz was around before then - its just a suggestion, he could have said - I am looking into it - something ......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
No Meg - I just think 2 days is too long .......
I know Azz was around before then - its just a suggestion, he could have said - I am looking into it - something ......
What are you talking about Patsy 'two days' , how do you know if and when post was reported and acted upon unless you reported them yourself.

Some report posts do not require intervention, if we acted upon every report post there would be no posts left because some people complain about every little thing.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:18 AM

...how many of them are suitably none judgemental when it comes to their fellow members.
I think the answer to the last question is demonstrated in this thread.
And that is exactly why self-moderation won't and doesn't work.
Not every member is non-judgemental. Not every member respects the opinions of their fellow members.
That is why moderation is needed.

I think many members are frustrated that the racist remarks have remained, despite the rules of the board.
(I read them in the Posting section of the Terms of Use at the bottom right of the board.)
I have a hard time understanding it, after seeing lesser remarks removed.
Somebody said it somewhere - sorry, can't remember who or on what thread - but I do think it is important to be consistent on what is allowed and what is not.
So do the Posting guidelines as stated in the Terms of Use stand or not??
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass. I know there's leeway, but when it comes to racism, etc., I really do believe admin should have rules, and stand by them.
My opinion only of course!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

02-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The very great problem with moderation is that it is usually down to the opinion of the moderator when alerted to a post on whether to act on it or not, and as in most cases opinions will always differ. In this case I think the decision not to interfere was the right one as UJ can certainly stand up for himself and give as good as he gets.

Moderation is not an easy thing to do but an easy thing to criticise, but if we accept that moderation is essential than surely we have to accept the moderator's decisions, albeit we don't always agree with it.
Thank you Barry some days I ask myself do I really want to give up my time listening to a lot of moaning people who seem to forget I joined as a member not a Mod and I am not just here for their convenience.

If one day the moaning gets to be too much there may be no Mods here at all then to whom will people complain..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:43 AM

What are you talking about Patsy 'two days' , how do you know if and when post was reported and acted upon unless you reported them yourself.

Some report posts do not require intervention, if we acted upon every report post there would be no posts left because some people complain about every little thing.
Meg - I really do sincerely apologise, I didn't report because I knew nothing about it, till the anger transpired. I'm so shocked by it all - my mind is a haze and I am not even getting the timing right on this.
I have to apologise and walk away ........
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I think that the correct procedure was folllowed according to forum rules by members , sadly in this case the moderation did not follow their own guidelines, ive seen much less offensive (off topic) posts removed.

Moderation can be difficult, but it should be consistent. One forum i was a member of has only a handful left due to poor moderation and disruptive personalities.

People come and go for many reasons, but if we have lost some members because of this i can understand their frustration.

Pretty much says it all Nom. I agree.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 01:31 PM

All I can say is (as mamby pamby as this sounds), I can see points on both sides! Plus....i wouldn't want your job Meg. It would be hard & especially all volunteer work. Also I have to say I agree with others about lesser postings being removed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 01:38 PM

There's a chunk gone out of this one that's for sure, good job I'm feeling nonchalant of late.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfly2013 ->
When a member has one or 2 off post, then there is no reason to do anything, because depending on threads, we can get passionate about it, but if a member always posts in same way, then something should be done.

Moderators should browse threads and look at posts, then there will be no second guessing. I always thought best when moderators of a site to decide on what should be done, it is not up to members to decide.
Again....I'm definitely not on the side of her but why oh why, if so many on here KNOW what she's like, why do others 'feed' her threads in the 1st place????

Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top