Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:58 PM

Re: Damn French (Contributing to border security)

Originally Posted by rehab44 ->
new zealand has earthquakes..big ones
australia has egos..bigger ones
of the two i would prefer the earthquakes.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
New Zealand has earthquakes..big ones
Australia has egos..bigger ones
Of the two I would prefer the earthquakes.
Look I do understand your feelings and I empathise. Because I live on an uncrowded continent with one of the highest and most pleasent living standards on the planet, a longer life expectancy, where residential dwellings have even more space than the Americans and pollution is minimal it is easy for me to forget that you live on an overcrowded, cold little island, with the smallest residential dwellings even by European standards, a high crime rate and national debt exceeding GDP.

I do agree with you that ego and earthquakes are something you are unlikely to ever experience in your daily grind.

Just to keep you informed - we do get earthquakes, perhaps you forgot the Newcastle quake of 1989 which killed 13 people and injured 160?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
The loan was made by the U S in 1946 ! after the war was over, and was gratefully received, but it was also paid back in full by2006.

Large quantities of goods were in Britain or in transit when Washington!!! suddenly and unexpectedly terminated Lend-Lease on 21 August 1945. The British economy had been heavily geared towards war production and had drastically reduced its exports. The UK therefore relied on Lend-Lease imports to obtain essential consumer commodities such as food while it could no longer afford to pay for these items using export profits. The end of lend-lease thus came as a great economic shock. Britain needed to retain some of this equipment in the immediate post war period. As a result, the Anglo-American loan came about. Lend-lease items retained were sold to Britain at the knockdown price of about 10 cents on the dollar giving an initial value of £1.075 billion.

So I think the U S had a great deal to do with the fact that we needed a loan.
Oh come on! Britain was surprised when the USA stopped GIVING Britain armaments and supplies because the war in Europe was over? And then had the audacity to give the UK very favourable loans to enable them to pay for the stuff supplied after the war was over?

What planet do you live on? everybody in the UK on this board has been whinging about foreign aid but after five years of being given $30billion of aid (how many hundreds of billions is that the equivalent of today) you actually think Britain should have continued to receive it for nothing when Europe was in ruins?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Talk about rewriting history. Obviously no point discussing it with you.
I didnt rewrite anything, all that is actual fact. so im sorry that I have had to spoil your " America" won the war theory.
and with a typical American saying " Have a nice day"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
I didnt rewrite anything, all that is actual fact. so im sorry that I have had to spoil your " America" won the war theory.
and with a typical American saying " Have a nice day"
Again you're rewriting history - I never claimed America won the war - there were many nations involved including Russia, China, and many (ex) colonies. I said America bailed the UK out with massive aid, troops and equipment. Comprehension is obviously not your strong point.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 11:41 AM

Oh come on! Britain was surprised when the USA stopped GIVING Britain armaments and supplies because the war in Europe was over? And then had the audacity to give the UK very favourable loans to enable them to pay for the stuff supplied after the war was over?

What planet do you live on? everybody in the UK on this board has been whinging about foreign aid but after five years of being given $30billion of aid (how many hundreds of billions is that the equivalent of today) you actually think Britain should have continued to receive it for nothing when Europe was in ruins?
Are you suggesting we should loan the money to third World countries?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-01-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Are you suggesting we should loan the money to third World countries?
No!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 11:57 AM

No!!!
Ah, OK, give it away it is then.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Look I do understand your feelings and I empathise. Because I live on an uncrowded continent with one of the highest and most pleasent living standards on the planet, a longer life expectancy, where residential dwellings have even more space than the Americans and pollution is minimal it is easy for me to forget that you live on an overcrowded, cold little island, with the smallest residential dwellings even by European standards, a high crime rate and national debt exceeding GDP.

I do agree with you that ego and earthquakes are something you are unlikely to ever experience in your daily grind.

Just to keep you informed - we do get earthquakes, perhaps you forgot the Newcastle quake of 1989 which killed 13 people and injured 160?
An uncrowned continent, yet you still have concentration camps for the aboriginal peoples?

https://www.welcometocountry.org/aus...iginal-people/

And illegal off shore detention centres for asylum seekers

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...asylum-seekers

No wonder you have lots of space,
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 12:46 PM

z

Way I see it, it was a world war to protect everyone from domination from several threats. I've always wondered why we a tiny island ended up losing so much when others made so much out of that.

Now even now we are still it feels fighting domination without much help at all. Just accusations of xenophobia etc

We play by the rules no one else does so everything seems to cost us so much more.

We pay a heck of a lot into various world clubs like Nato etc pay up to protect us and everyone else. Not many pay every penny they owe for that.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top