Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 09:26 PM

Re: A cashless society - the push for plastic

I’m another who never sees an honesty box hereabouts but when we used to spend time in a rural village in Cornwall there were several. Mainly for eggs but for plants and excess garden veg in the spring and summer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 01:46 AM

I can't see the day when cash has completely gone in my lifetime (though that probably isn't very long)

Certainly I do most of my transactions with either a debit or credit card (the latter is paid off each month so there are no interest charges)

Until a few years ago I made several ATM withdrawals each week now it is one or two a month. Personally I wish they would get rid of the cards so you can do every transaction with your phone then wallets would be redundant too - something less to carry. Just carry a few coins needed for the rare transactions where a card is not suitable
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Personally I wish they would get rid of the cards so you can do every transaction with your phone then wallets would be redundant too - something less to carry. Just carry a few coins needed for the rare transactions where a card is not suitable
That's my idea of hell. You'd need to ensure your phone is charged to pay for something. Then you lose the signal halfway through. You get home and find someone has hacked your account. No thanks.

I've been told by a colleague that new computers are now using face recognition to log on. Another nightmare. If someone can create a land where we are not constantly plugged into a central system with our lives monitored 24/7 I will be moving there.

I read the other day that on the one hand there is a drive for all this and on the other a growing group of people who are resistant to the "internet of things". They mentioned the challenge to the monopoly holds of MS & FB to be replaced with multiple less omnipotent versions. Even teens are going on tech-detox breaks. I see the cashless drive as just another push for centralisation and control. A scenario that is pitted with risks for the future. Should a malignant force take over all the data and systems we'd be paralised.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's my idea of hell. You'd need to ensure your phone is charged to pay for something. Then you lose the signal halfway through. You get home and find someone has hacked your account. No thanks.
I suppose there is a place for such paranoia somewhere but personally I charge my phone each night, I have a virus scanner on my phone and it is password protected. Far harder to hack than a debit/credit card

Since I first bought a computer in 1980 during which time I also ran a public BBS for ten years I have never had a virus, trojan or malware on any computer by taking very simple and basic precautions.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 07:29 AM

Hi

I will use cash as long as possible, I like the freedom it gives.

The village post office and sore is 600 yards away, there are 3 honesty boxes in that short distance.

A card payment for 2 eggs or one cabbage would be stupid.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I suppose there is a place for such paranoia somewhere but personally I charge my phone each night, I have a virus scanner on my phone and it is password protected. Far harder to hack than a debit/credit card

Since I first bought a computer in 1980 during which time I also ran a public BBS for ten years I have never had a virus, trojan or malware on any computer by taking very simple and basic precautions.

Well I'm a bit more sceptical after having my laptop hacked 2-3 years ago and my anti-virus/firewall taken over. At the same time someone from the same location tried to hack my facebook account, but FB sends you an email which is how I was alerted to a problem. The anti-virus language changed and everything slowed down to a snail's pace. I had to buy a new laptop and I changed my anti-virus to the company with the best reviews, but none of them are foolproof.

I'm very careful about online security but operating systems are only so good. There's always something the crims can find if they look hard enough.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:30 AM

As I dont use a mobile phone, by doing away with cards as well as cash, it would mean that I would have to go and spend a large amount of money investing in a smart phone and contract. So, a no no from me. I dont even have contactless cards, but do appreciate the ones that I do have as there is no ATM within a mile of here.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:31 AM

And what about my allotment shop? They can't accept card payments.

And as for doing everything via the phone...mine is gradually 'shutting' down my regular Apps because of its age, and that I'm unable to upgrade the iOS.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

16-10-2017, 09:40 AM

Like everything else that is meant to make our lives "easier" these changes are just lining someone's pocket.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:41 AM

I'd love it if we went cashless I try to use debit card for everything. It's far easier to budget if you have a receipt saying what you've bought for each shop. Also having had my hand bag stolen it took a phone call to stop anyone using my card but my cash was just gone couldn't gag that back.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top