Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:01 AM

UK minimum wage: Steep increases could kickstart workplace automation revolution

The institute of fiscal studies predicts that there is a point at which an increase in the minimum wage will act as a catalyst to spur on automation of routine tasks.

Do you think this will happen in our lifetime? Do companies still owe us a living if they are making profits from automated labour?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8139821.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Re: UK minimum wage: Steep increases could kickstart workplace automation revolution

Hi

I think this is already happening, it certainly is in agriculture with huge one pass tractors, farms with half a million chickens and only three workers etc.

The new dairies and cheese plants are all fully automated, very few workers, those who work in them are however highly skilled and well paid.

It is inevitable that automation will be far more prevalent than it is now.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:16 AM

Re: UK minimum wage: Steep increases could kickstart workplace automation revolution

It's already happening, my nephew is assisting setting up a completely robotic farm. Everything done by robots it's called precision agriculture.

Have to admit robots scare the hell out of me, the thought of sleeping in an hotel completely run by robots? No thankyou.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Snap swims we both posted at the same time with similar views
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:31 AM

There's nothing new in replacing people with machines, it's just the nature of the jobs on offer which changes, hence the healthy level of employment we seem to have at the moment.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:04 AM

Can robots change beds, clean, wash sheets etc.? cook and serve breakfasts? if not the hotel would still need some staff.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:08 AM

The one conundrum that's never been answered YET, is that people used to make products, to earn a wage, to make the purchase of products, other people were making possible, that used to be the basis for business. We have YET to see Robots with "Purchasing Power".
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:34 AM

Been going on all my working career, its why i still like to find craftsmen making a living with basic tools.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 11:45 AM

I'd suggest the tax payers need to hold onto their hats because someone will have to pay for the people who lose their jobs. It will take a huge shift in attitudes to unemployment too we can't castigate people for not working if their jobs no longer exist.

Couple of things worry me, what if for some reason we lose our fuel ? Electric was turned off every other day at one time, we see wars in areas provide fuel, what if that affects the supply ?

Will people be willing or even able to fill in on those occasions ?

I'm also worried about the minds of those lose their jobs unless something is found to fill their days what are we going to create ? Several generations watching Jeremy Kyle ? Young men and women find mischief if they have no work to go to as well.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 11:49 AM

I am all for people earning a decent wage to live on but it is true, the more these things are enforced, the more jobs will be lost.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top