Join for free
Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Re: Removing concrete anchor bolts

Expanding anchor bolts are made to be non removable, so break out the concrete surrounding the bolts or, preferably, the whole concrete base and redo.

Just as a tip though, I always set fence posts in granite chippings rather than a concrete mix. As the post moves slightly in the wind the chippings very soon tighten together to form a surround as firm as concrete, but is easily removeable should the need arise.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Expanding anchor bolts are made to be non removable, so break out the concrete surrounding the bolts or, preferably, the whole concrete base and redo.

Just as a tip though, I always set fence posts in granite chippings rather than a concrete mix. As the post moves slightly in the wind the chippings very soon tighten together to form a surround as firm as concrete, but is easily removeable should the need arise.
Do you use resins Barry?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do you use resins Barry?
I would do if necessary on a repair, but preparation of the existing concrete has to be rigorous to guarantee adhesion. Personally I'd prefer to remove the whole block if possible and start afresh.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 10:40 AM

Last fence I did was using concrete slotted posts and a concrete (board) at the bottom between posts. New fencing can then just be slipped in and out easily whatever type of fence used. Having the fence rest on concrete it stops it rotting which it wood if straight onto grass/earth.

To get those bolts out would mean using a kango hammer to smash up the concrete or dug around and take up the lot.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 10:43 AM

I would do if necessary on a repair, but preparation of the existing concrete has to be rigorous to guarantee adhesion. Personally I'd prefer to remove the whole block if possible and start afresh.
Yes, I can understand that.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Last fence I did was using concrete slotted posts and a concrete (board) at the bottom between posts. New fencing can then just be slipped in and out easily whatever type of fence used. Having the fence rest on concrete it stops it rotting which it wood if straight onto grass/earth.
Good in theory but unless you are herculean, or very tall with long arms, picking up a new fence panel and slotting it in is impossible.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

10-07-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Good in theory but unless you are herculean, or very tall with long arms, picking up a new fence panel and slotting it in is impossible.
True, strength is required, but easy enough for two normal working men.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-07-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I can vouch for that. I did it on my own once, just one panel, on a step ladder. Not easy.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

10-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can vouch for that. I did it on my own once, just one panel, on a step ladder. Not easy.
That's just bonkers, if you aren't strong enough then get some help rather than risk an accident or risk hurting youself.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 01:39 PM

True, strength is required, but easy enough for two normal working men.
The guy who put the concrete posts in, managed to pick up the panels and slot them in on his own! but years later when one of the panels needed replacing, OH (who had long arms) and I just couldn't do it and he eventually managed to bend the panel somehow and 'pop' it in.

Last time, my friend decided the only way to do it was to cut through the frame and then screw a piece of wood across the cut after it was in. Not ideal but it worked.

Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top