Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 12:22 AM

Re: Trump pulls out....

The more we dig, the more we find and in many cases, quite educational and can also be very disturbing.

Costa Blanca with Typhoo tea like mum makes ,seems the better option ?
I can understand the wandering Nomads hanging on to their traditions. One can travel so much further by camel and make a rapid exit if needs be.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Crumbs ... I found this on the Local Laws And Customs page.

Local residents in ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighbourhoods can react strongly to anyone (particularly women) dressed inappropriately. Women should not wear trousers.

Avoid driving into ultra-Orthodox Jewish areas of Jerusalem on Shabbat (from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday). If you attempt to drive into these areas local residents may stone your car.

Along with the usual restrictions on eating, drinking and smoking during Rammadan it's quite educational and very interesting.
Have to say a beach in Spain whilst less steeped in any cultural experience sounds more relaxing.
Interesting but it's nothing like this. Orthodox Jews were polite and helpful when we got lost. Nobody bothers you or looks at what you are wearing. Everyone is really accommodating to tourists. Jerusalem was far more relaxing than fighting for sunbeds in Spain.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The West Bank is pretty safe and Gaza is on the other side of Israel.
Annie I was referring to the declaring of Jerusalem as Israel's Capital, which could well be with the US Embassy moving there on the 14th. East Jerusalem is Palestinian territory , and one very good reason why the Palestinians up in arms atm.
Maybe we got our wires crossed somewhere.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Annie I was referring to the declaring of Jerusalem as Israel's Capital, which could well be with the US Embassy moving there on the 14th. East Jerusalem is Palestinian territory , and one very good reason why the Palestinians up in arms atm.
Maybe we got our wires crossed somewhere.
Well it is late so maybe I misread.

It's really disappointing about the US embassy. I am just glad I went before all that. Most Palestinians are just trying to live their daily lives and are quite irritated with all the protests having to deal with the fallout.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

12-05-2018, 12:48 AM

Well it is late so maybe I misread.

It's really disappointing about the US embassy. I am just glad I went before all that. Most Palestinians are just trying to live their daily lives and are quite irritated with all the protests having to deal with the fallout.
Sounds as though you enjoyed your visit , which is a good thing to remember.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 05:44 AM

Hi

Jerusalem has been fought over for Centuries, the Crusades.

It is important to three major Religions.

I have absolutely no issue with having a Nation State of Israel, the Jews need a homeland.

A modicum of commonsense would have made Tel Aviv the Capital and Jerusalem an open city for pilgrimage.

It would have resolved so many issues and reduced tensions.

Trump moving his Embassy there has simply inflamed things, to the detriment of all.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

12-05-2018, 09:03 AM

I had a chuckle last night , the Palestinians in Gaza are attacking IDF with toys !

Kites, tennis racquets and IDF retaliating with model aeroplanes. Remote controlled with knives attached to the wings to cut kite strings. .... stones and catapults obviously had no effect !

That just about tells the story.
One of those all time greats for the history books like the POW's who dug tunnels out of Colditz little bags of earth , two at a time dumped from beneath their trouser legs .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

12-05-2018, 10:31 AM

History of Jerusalem :

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Interesting but it's nothing like this. Orthodox Jews were polite and helpful when we got lost. Nobody bothers you or looks at what you are wearing. Everyone is really accommodating to tourists. Jerusalem was far more relaxing than fighting for sunbeds in Spain.
Interesting that your tourist experience was so different to our own governments Foreign Travel Advice.
I imagine tourists get focused on/steered to the good bits and never get to see the whole picture.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Jerusalem has been fought over for Centuries, the Crusades.

It is important to three major Religions.

I have absolutely no issue with having a Nation State of Israel, the Jews need a homeland.

A modicum of commonsense would have made Tel Aviv the Capital and Jerusalem an open city for pilgrimage.

It would have resolved so many issues and reduced tensions.

Trump moving his Embassy there has simply inflamed things, to the detriment of all.
If both the Palestinians and Jews had their own homelands, that would have been fair. The present situation isn't.

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top