Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Re: BREXIT in 14 MONTHS

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
There is a simple misunderstanding here.

When we leave, there will be no Passporting to EU Financial Services.

They are not subject to WTO Rules.
Thanks for the explanation, although I'm afraid I don't understand most of it especially "passporting to EU financial services".

Do we need to "passport to EU financial services"? Is it possibly in our mutual interest for the EU to permit this to continue? Do we need the EU anyway? What about the rest of the world?
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 10:39 AM

Swimfeeder wrote above:
Neither are we, manufactured goods and foods will still be traded, but subject to tariffs.

As we import far more of them from the EU both sides will suffer, but we actually gain in financial terms

Indeed to the first sentence but since companies are already cutting margins, the cost of the WTO tariffs on imports and exports will either be absorbed by less profit (which may be offset by lower employment) or the cost to customer will become non competitive compared with the EU where the goods do not carry tariffs for raw materials or for exports .

As for the second sentence this is a long standing short sighted idea.

The UK does not import more goods and foods than any other country because the UK is ONE of 28 countries all trading between themselves.
In SOME goods and foods the UK may import more than say Romania but less than say Spain. But Romania and Spain are trading between the 28 nations too.
It is impossible to say which country trades most across 28 countries without stating what food or goods you are referring to.

What IS clear is that the EU's total trade with the UK is far less than its inter EU trade. Last I looked it stood at about 10% of the entire EU trade. However for the UK, its trade with the EU amounted to about 54% of its entire trade income.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Anyone else here think that holding Greece up as some kind or role model or shining example of EU membership is actually going to encourage anyone to regret wanting to leave?

Ahem.
I used it as the exact opposite.
I would hope the UK does not become like Greece tho if it continues to borrow the spectre looms.

Was my point.
Flicker
France

01-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks for the explanation, although I'm afraid I don't understand most of it especially "passporting to EU financial services".

Do we need to "passport to EU financial services"? Is it possibly in our mutual interest for the EU to permit this to continue? Do we need the EU anyway? What about the rest of the world?

Oh dear. Another detail Boris and Farage forgot to tell you about.

Passporting is the EU agreement which allows the UK to sell services including financial services (and insurance etc) to other EU countries.
It achieves roughly 80% of the UK annual income (GDP).
It relies on the fact that the UK is a member of the EU.
The 68 bn pounds per year is just the tax take. It also employs thousands of people in London, all happy to spend their money across the country and thus supporting many of the hotels, restos, bars which also employ people who spend and pay taxes.
It is the biggest global "industry" in the UK.
It is where money...investment, stocks and shares, bonds are traded and at every transaction someone pays a fee to make it happen.
If the UK loses the right/licence to trade, the business will go to either one other country or will be split across Europe.
The major contenders are Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt.

I haven't seen much reference to the subject in the press but I would be astounded if the EU allowed a non member to continue to have a licence to trade throughout the bloc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

JB there are ways around most things if there is a will to find one , nothing is set in stone.
There are also possible options to 'passporting ' as I pointed out in a thread earlier this year I will repost the link.

British banks could still thrive in Europe: Loophole may allow lenders to keep doing business with reforms set to be introduced by 2018

This was because any bank based in an EU country has a passport that allows it to do business in another member state. So a bank with a head office in the UK could offer services in Spain or Germany, even if they didn’t have an office there, and vice versa. After Brexit banks based in the UK would have this passport taken away, experts had suggested.

But many believe that under articles 46 and 47 of the Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (Mifid), banks outside the European Union could be given a passport provided the rules in their home nation were as good as those inside the EU.
Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...#ixzz4RZypbgM0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 11:50 AM

Hi

I agree with you in part.

Loss of EU Passporting would be a disaster for us financially.

Massive more Austerity.

However the loss of the massive UK Contribution to the EU would be a disaster to the EU.

I have dealt with the French for many years, I am fluent in French.

Part of my job.

I am also well aware of how much the French are dependant on us for their Security.

Swings and roundabouts.

We need the EU Trade Agreements for our continued financial security

The French need us for their Internal Security, they are sodding useless at that.

Nice Attacks?

They were warned, by the UK.

French Internal Politics.

We offered to help.

One of these would have stopped them in their tracks, the Neo Combat Shotgun
They chose not to

They absolutely refused all our help, did not even notify the Locals even though we had a team there, fully equipped to deal with it with it.

Such is life.

Let us hope that reality prevails.

We are leaving, good, we both rely on each other however, it would be good if we could leave without any nastiness on either side.

You remind me of the worst in British Politics Flicker.

We both need each other, a divorce is essential, but much better if we remain on friendly terms.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neostead2gz2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	2394  
Flicker
France

01-12-2016, 12:19 PM

The UK contribution to the EU is hardly massive since most of it goes back to the UK one way or another. and since it will be offset by the fact that the UK will no longer be calling on EU money, any loss is negligible.

If British politics is based on hysteria, lack of understanding and sheer lies, then your form of politics is in serious need of reform.
I don't understand your personal, opinionated remark and will ignore it as usual.

Do not be so sure you are leaving. There are many occasions when that uninformed, propaganda generated half truth of a ridiculous decision can be reversed.
and if it is not the UK will spend the next many years wishing it had have been.
Because you won't get EU trade agreements which are necessarily the ones you want/need.. The EU has had enough of British shenanigans and creating EU agreements requires the agreement of all the 27 other countries. The UK will be subject to any and all the conditions they place on any agreement being negotiated.
Why would the UK want to thro itself onto the mercy of an EU is has just snubbed?

I was hoping to come here and have a grown up discussion about the future for the UK...I have only just begin to find one in your recent posts since you have stopped nodding to populist urban myths. There is no way to have a proper discussion when they are presented as fact and game changers. I am very happy to have an amical discussion but let's do it on the basis of fact, not hysteria and guesswork.
Flicker
France

01-12-2016, 12:42 PM

Just been doing some research on gaining EU trade agreements.

This should be of interest. It covers existing associate trade with non EU countries and the terms and conditions they bring with them...particularly freedom of movement of labour:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-...endum-36641383

They aren't new but perhaps should be remembered.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top