Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Re: Car Insurance Increase.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders View Post
I quite like the system they have in other Countries, where it is the car that is insured for all drivers rather than just one driver.

A one off payment incorporated with Road Tax.
In Australia you insure the car not the driver - anybody can drive it (provided they have a valid licence). There is a proviso because I am over 70 I told the insurance company that no one under 30 will drive it which makes the insurance much cheaper.

If a driver under 30 does drive it the excess increases from $200 (100) to $1000 (500) but the car is still comprehensively insured. I think I pay about $500 a year to comprehensively insure a $40000 car.

Some young people and some pensioners with cheap cars don't worry about comprehensive insurance they get 'bomb' insurance which only covers damage to the other vehicle and is much cheaper.

As a pensioner I don't pay any rego or licence fees.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Our insurance premiums may rise again, as insurance companies may look at the options you have fitted when you buy your ( new) car, extras such as radar controlled cruise, ect are expensive to replace after an accident, although safety items such as post collision braking, may be used to reduce premium's, the Australian system is much better where the car is insured not the driver, but how would the insurance companies make any money if they did that over here, the UK isnt known as treasure
Island for nothing you know
Roxy
Scottish Highlands....
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Omah View Post
Recently, I moved my car insurance to Saga and saved 150. Earlier this year I moved my household maintenance agreement to Saga and saved a similar amount.

Obviously, I won't be able to repeat those savings every year but this year I'm 300 better off (for the moment).
I have just left Saga as they wanted to increase my insurance by 40 this year, same car as last year. Moved to Direct Line and got it 10 cheaper than last years cost.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top