Join for free
Page 101 of 190 « First < 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

A very nice walk yesterday from St Andrews Quay to Hull and back, but the rain chased us back to the car on the return journey.....
This is the old wooden dock which would have been bustling with activity over a hundred years ago now left to be reclaimed by the river.....In the distance you can just make out the Ferry Terminal and the large construction of the Siemens Wind Turbine Manufacturing factory....

Ships arrive here from all over the world for a refit and a quick lick of paint....

Hull, the city of culture and very busy for a Friday afternoon, fortunately there were still plenty of seats available in the 'Secret Garden' restaurant where he had lunch.....

Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 11:00 AM

A bit like you Foxy, I rediscovered Hull, previously it was a place I avoided but it's slowly growing on me. I may just do a small part of the walk into Hull, it would be good if there was a coffee shop after about a mile, have a rest then walk back again! Got to save a bit of energy for shopping!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
A bit like you Foxy, I rediscovered Hull, previously it was a place I avoided but it's slowly growing on me. I may just do a small part of the walk into Hull, it would be good if there was a coffee shop after about a mile, have a rest then walk back again! Got to save a bit of energy for shopping!
Pick a nice day Val when the weather is fine and you will love it. The shopping in Hull looks brilliant, sometimes it's hard to get Mrs Fox to leave without first looking round the shops....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-08-2017, 09:06 PM

The Boroughbridge Circular – Friday 4th August 2017

About an hour’s drive away straight up the A1 lies Boroughbridge on the river Ure and the location of today’s walk. But first we needed somewhere to have breakfast and take on supplies. We left the motorway and immediately found directions to a ‘Superstore’ It turned out to be a Morrisons with a very ample cafe’ so after a sausage sandwich and a piece of fried bread – Mrs Fox had the full English but she doesn’t like fried bread so I took it off her hands – We stocked up and left the store to find the car park, situated at the far end of the very pretty town and by the side of the river Ure.

The car park come picnic area is free to park as long as you like, but no overnight parking is allowed, I’m hoping an eight mile walk won’t take us twenty four hours. We soon picked out the lane that leads us down by the side of the river and under the trees all the way to Milby Lock. A canal runs side by side with the river to this point and the lock allows canal traffic to join the river, which is navigable all the way to the river Ouse to the North of York.

We pass through a kissing gate and the decent path we had been following suddenly disappeared and we were faced with a wall of vegetation. I have done this walk a couple of times in previous years and the vegetation was nowhere near as overgrown as it was today, and the main culprit.....Himalayan Balsam.
Himalayan Balsam was introduced to this country in 1839 as an ornamental plant, but since then it has taken over most river and canal banks spreading rapidly after producing over 800 seed per plant and scattering them over a wide area, with some seeds being carried by the water and infesting the whole length of the riverbank. It is now considered an Invasive species.

After fighting our way through the tangle of vegetation for a couple of miles we eventually regained the clear path at the top of the riverbank that took us to the convergence of the River Ure with the River Swale. We arrived at Myton, the scene of a terrific battle in the twelfth century. On the morning of 20th September 1319 William de Melton (The Archbishop of York) assembled an army of 20,000 clergy, Farmers and Townspeople to stop an advancing army led by Thomas Murray (The Earl of Moray) and Lord James Douglas who commanded a well organised Scottish army of 15,000. The inexperienced English army were no match for proper trained soldiers and were soon backed into a corner with the River Swale at their backs. Some accounts recorded over 4000 drowned as they tried to cross the river, and the rest were slaughtered where they stood.

After taking lunch overlooking the battle field we resumed our walk around the perimeter of a large field until we located a waymarked footpath in the far corner, where once again we were surrounded by Himalayan Balsam. It was even beginning to take hold away from the river, and I doubted that this walk would be possible in the future if a solution to the problem plants cannot be found. The footpath gave way to a wide lane which passed through the yard of Clott House Farm, a dairy farm where many curious cows lined up alongside the fence and observed our passage while chewing their grass. We were now walking along the tarmac service road from the farm with the sun on our backs, the weather had been perfect for walking, sunny for most of the time with fluffy white cumulus clouds sailing across a clear blue sky.

We survived the short stretch on the busy Boroughbridge road and found the lane back to Milby Lock, just half a mile down a tree covered towpath by the side of the canal and back to the car park...
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Great write up on your walk OFF .... perhaps you could contact the Footpaths Society to let them know the public footpath is being
invaded ??
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-08-2017, 09:12 PM

The Wier by the side of the car park in Boroughbridge.

Himalayan Balsam is having quite an impact suffocating indigenous species and taking over a riverbank near you....

The beautiful countryside around Boroughbridge...

Your intrepid explorer....

The River Swale near the Battlefield at Myton...

The last leg alongside the canal towpath back to the car park just the other side of the road bridge......

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Sounds (and looks) a glorious walk OGF.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 11:09 PM

Lovely pics OGF, sounds like a great day out...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 06:48 AM

What a superb write up of a wonderfully well-spent summer day! I particularly appreciate the history and photos; every place seems to have it's own story and beauty. Nice legs, too . While you call them "car parks", we refer to them as "parking lots". It certainly sounds as if your cars have a much better time of it that ours. This blog is a treat!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Yes I have an ongoing fight with Himalayan Balsam it's a nightmare, problem is it's a pretty flower so it's a devil in disguise. Great blog OGF, so many places I know, nice to be reminded of them.

Page 101 of 190 « First < 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top