Join for free
Page 110 of 190 « First < 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:59 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Thanks Spitty, we try and come here every year, if you like walking, running and beautiful scenery then this is the place to come. Trouble is, Mrs Fox and me have these 'Set Pieces' that we have to do every time we come such as a walk round the Orme, up the Orme, a walk to Conwy (just completed today) and a walk to Rhos on Sea.....I came here with my job around about 1994 Spitty, stayed in this very hotel, and Llandudno hasn't changed much since then (that's why we like it) they have built a large retail park at the other end of town though but it hasn't detracted from Llandudno's appeal, especially Mrs Foxes appeal at any rate, but it does keep her occupied while I get off for a longer walk ....

Thanks Newcomer, it's very nice to see you here and glad you find it interesting and I can keep you entertained, you're always welcome....

And it's always nice to see you here Mags. Yes, it was a brilliant day for taking photos yesterday. Not so good today, although we missed the rain (while we were in a cafe having lunch) it was a bit too dark for good photos. I took some anyway, and will post them as soon as I get time.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 06:14 AM

I don't know that from that view towards Mount Snowdon, one would ever pry me away. I am like-minded with Mrs. OGF. At this very moment, I am drawing up house plans for that spot atop Great Orme (now don't go disappointing me with talk of park ownership, etc. These are just minor details to sort out.)

It's good to know that you both made the ascent without the need of oxygen tanks or Sherpas. How fortunate you are to have such crystal clear skies!

Are most of the places you are walking part of trail systems, or are you making your own way as you please?

And did you know there is an artificial surf park in Snowdonia? Not sure how I feel about what that did to the landscape, but it does look like great sport....

I shan't detract this lovely thread though. Back to you, Bob with another round of thanks.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Loved your encounter with the ambulance Surfermom, and the quick witted staff...

Had to make an early start yesterday so didn't have time to post a blog so after my usual seven mile run It was a quick shower, breakfast, and while Mrs Fox spent the day ferreting out some bargains at the shops I drove the 30 odd miles to the foot of Mount Snowdon in Llanberis.

I had some unfinished business with the 1085 metre high mountain of blood sweat and tears. Having ascended it on the special little train some years ago I never thought that method was befitting of a fell runner, so today I would make amends before it gets too late......Who knew that as I lay in a hospital bed following a Heart Attack I would scale one of the three highest mountains in Britain....I always knew!

The start is located in Llanberis, the decision to take the train or tackle it on foot is made here at the station...

Today, I chose the foot method but even before I left the steep climb up the road section I was beginning to think that my seven mile run this morning might have been a mistake........I was soon on the early slopes and feeling good, the train had set off about the same time...

There were plenty of other prospective mountaineers making the ascent and one by one I was picking them off. There were just two chaps who set off about the same time as me who I immediately recognised as seasoned hill walkers and although I passed them early on, they eventually caught me up and would arrive at the summit before me.....Although the climb was tougher than I expected, I pressed on without a stop - except for photo opportunities - The views just could not be ignored.....

I was not the only one to reach the summit yesterday but all due respect, most of the people standing on the couple of foot of rock that marked the summit had made the gruelling climb the same as me. Unfortunately, even though the weather had seemed perfect down below, it was a different world up here at over three thousand feet, we were surrounded by the cloud and very cold......I hope there's room up there for a small one....

While the folks behind toast their success I ask a passer by to take my photo....Brrrrrrrr...

Believe it or not, there is a cafe high up on the summit adjacent the railway station where you can buy overpriced tea and Tuna and Sweetcorn sandwiches, but you know what.....That was the best cup of tea I've had for ages....

The four and a half mile climb took me just under two hours and the descent just one hour and a half. In 1990 I ran the Snowdon Marathon in three hours and eighteen minutes, about the same time as today but although the marathon was much longer it didn't actually go over the top. It will be a long time until the elation of today's effort finally wears off......if ever.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 10:20 AM

Fantastic pictures ... I've never been up Snowden because every time I intended to do it it's been thick cloud !!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 12:27 PM

Well done on conquering Mount Snowdon, Bob ..... that must have given you great satisfaction You are a very determined man with a purpose, extraordinary after suffering a couple of heart attacks ..... you well earned that cup of tea at the top!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2017, 05:15 PM

Thanks Myrtle, funny thing is, when I set off to climb Snowdon the top appeared free from cloud, but on arrival the top it was shrouded with cloud. On the way down I glanced back to see the summit was once again clear. My deduction is:- That it's always covered in cloud but you just can't see it from below....

Thank's Mags, I don't like giving in and will pursue a challenge until one of us has been beaten, I have been beaten a couple of times in the past, but not very often, it will probably be my downfall in the future....

Surfermom, most of the walks we do here are established rights of way. We tend to use the Coast Path quite often when walking at the seaside. The Coast Path goes right around Great Britain and is approximately 3000 miles long and is open to everyone. When on the moors though I have been known to follow a compass course and forge a path along previously unwalked routes.....And yes, I believe I did see something a while back on TV about a wave making machine at a water park somewhere in Wales....Sounds like the equivalent of using a treadmill for runners......Bad Idea!...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2017, 05:20 PM

And seamlessly on to today's adventure.....The mud had hardly dried on my walking shoes when once again we were to scale the dizzy heights of the Little Orme....For Myrtle.....
Warmer today but a lot more cloud as we strode off along the mile long promenade to the foot of the Little Orme....Looking back along the promenade to the Great Orme....

The view from the top which I consider to be one of the best views of Llandudno there is.....

And if Snowdon wasn't enough, this trigpoint at just 141 Metres high still contains a great view....Even though I do look a bit portly on this shot.....Too many egg and bacon breakfasts.....

So that's almost it for another year, it seems to have flown by, just a seven mile run to do first thing, if I can ever get these stiff muscles to perform. It's forecast rain in the morning so it looks like being waterproofs at the ready. Whatever happens though, this holiday would not be complete without a last walk around the Great Orme......
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Tut !!!! I'd have come with you up the Little Orme
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 06:34 AM

You and me, both, Myrtle!

Well done, Bob, on choosing the trail over the train. What a splendid accomplishment and personal feat! 3,000 feet - wow! No wonder you are elated. You look hardy and fit atop , if not a bit chilly….

I can’t tell you how much I am enjoying the photos and the accounts of this holiday (as well as your others), to the point of ensuring that this area will be on my must-stay places when I am UK bound. What a beautiful region for those who love the great outdoors and the charming appearance of the town itself. I certainly hope you are keeping all of your writing for your friends and family. It is very well done.

Spot on in your comparison pf the surf park to a treadmill. Funny! While artificial surfing won’t be at the top of my list, some of the Coast Path most definitely will be. I can imagine that there will be many people who will want to make the entire circle, but I will have to settle for just some of it. This trail system is an extraordinary and wonderful undertaking that I imagine will be very popular.

Enjoy that last seven mile run, and I wish you safe roads on your return!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-09-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks for your nice comments Surfermom, and thanks to everyone who has looked in over the last week. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if it's of interest to the few then my work here has not been in vain......I've enjoyed writing it....

This was the scene in Llandudno this morning, strong winds and torrential rain and it was even worse at 6:15am It was also Dark for my last seven mile run of the holiday and perhaps the toughest test yet of my dedication and resilience.....

To think that I was even in doubt about going out in my waterproof top, just light drizzle welcomed me to the promenade as I started the watch. Legs as stiff as ironing boards objected to suddenly being forced into action. I even considered the possibility of just running the length of the promenade before turning back if things didn't get any easier.

By the time I reached the foot of the climb over the Little Orme the rain had eased off and so had the stiffness, although the pace was slow. I managed to keep it going all the way to the top and over the crest of the hill, with cap in hand and sleeves pulled as high as my waterproof would allow, all the problems I had to withstand this morning, being cold was not one of them.

I reached the turn off along Glodaeth Lane and climbed the small rise that confronted me, no problems so far except the rain was coming a little stronger, so on went the cap and hood and with coat zipped up, I pushed hard with the rain in my face. As the footpath ran out I skipped onto the road, the next couple of miles would be without it's protection, and with water now swirling down the gutter it had permeated my shoes and was being absorbed into my socks.

My quads were beginning to tighten and as cloud overflowed into the valley so the rain began to increase, I had left all the buildings and houses of Penrhyn behind me now and was running in open countryside, not the best of places to stop, so with ever tiring legs I turned into the wind and battled on. It was as I approached the end of the road a figure came walking around the bend, as soon as he spotted me he rose onto his toes and started running. It was 6:30 on a windy dark rainsoaked morning and the young runner, dressed in just shorts and vest passed in the opposite direction and without stopping I issued a few words of encouragement, to which he acknowledged, and then disappeared into the mist and we both continued on our respective journeys....

I negotiated the roundabout on to a dual carriageway with an ample cycle/running track down the side and set about tackling the last climb of the day. Rain thundered down and traffic roared past throwing spray over my body, my aching legs begged me to stop, but the top of the hill grew closer and closer until suddenly I was faced with a panoramic view of Llandudno all the way down to the sea front. My pace quickened and as I made my way back onto the sea front and the promenade, still the rain cascaded down in bucketfuls but I would not be denied the last quarter mile sprint to the obelisk that marked the end of another very testing run......

Page 110 of 190 « First < 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top