Join for free
Page 67 of 370 « First < 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

An idle couple of days for me ..apart from doing battle with Mrs mart's new power-chair. It has to be in just the right position in relation the tailgate of the car in order to get the hoist points to line up. I've made a sort of 'distancing piece' out of copper pipe so I know where the chair has to sit on the ground.

I know this doesn't sound much like exercise but it weighs almost 24 stone (151Kg) and heaving that thing about for a few hours is exercise to me. I could have done with you here Floydy.

Back to the easier bike riding tomorrow.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Bob, you're an inspiration to anyone who is a runner, or is considering going out to pound the roads, never mind younger people. And at 67 too!

Is there a park nearby you could run around bud, it sounds rather precarious dodging oncoming driveway cars and the like?

I do like the idea of you splitting things up by doing a few short runs also. Keeps the legs shocked and eager for more, which also keeps the old ticker in check too with changing the routine.

Keep it going matey
Thanks Floydy, I'm also impressed with your dedication and longevity in body building. For most people exercise turns out to be a 'Flash in the pan' I have run with scores of runners who no longer participate either through injury (which can't be helped) or just find something else to do. I think people like you and me are few and far between.....

Dodging reversing vehicles is something that is quite rare, but one of the reasons why keeping your ears free from distractions can prevent collisions with the odd careless driver.....

You're right Floydy, it's too easy to fall into a rut, and I'd forgot how good it feels to stretch yourself every now and then, and the beauty of just doing a mile, is it doesn't leave me tired for the rest of the day.....

Tell Mrs Floydy we're all thinking about her and wish her a speedy recovery....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Thanks Surfermom, that chart has made me feel so much better, although hanging up my running shoes is not an option.......I've been lucky over the years, everything seems to carry on working despite the odd Heart Attack. It was such a shock when I had my first attack back in 2004, but even while laying in a hospital bed recovering I never doubted that I would be back on the road running sooner or later.

It was mentioned at the time that had I not been a runner the consequences might have been more serious. It's hard to imagine a life without running but I suppose someday I'll be ground to a halt, but until then it will be business as usual......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
An idle couple of days for me ..apart from doing battle with Mrs mart's new power-chair. It has to be in just the right position in relation the tailgate of the car in order to get the hoist points to line up. I've made a sort of 'distancing piece' out of copper pipe so I know where the chair has to sit on the ground.

I know this doesn't sound much like exercise but it weighs almost 24 stone (151Kg) and heaving that thing about for a few hours is exercise to me. I could have done with you here Floydy.

Back to the easier bike riding tomorrow.
Wish I could help Mart but I have a very unsure day tomorrow. Be careful with the lifting bud.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy, I'm also impressed with your dedication and longevity in body building. For most people exercise turns out to be a 'Flash in the pan' I have run with scores of runners who no longer participate either through injury (which can't be helped) or just find something else to do. I think people like you and me are few and far between.....

Dodging reversing vehicles is something that is quite rare, but one of the reasons why keeping your ears free from distractions can prevent collisions with the odd careless driver.....

You're right Floydy, it's too easy to fall into a rut, and I'd forgot how good it feels to stretch yourself every now and then, and the beauty of just doing a mile, is it doesn't leave me tired for the rest of the day.....

Tell Mrs Floydy we're all thinking about her and wish her a speedy recovery....
It's strange how we always get back into the swing of things, Bob. I guess it's because we are compelled to do a certain thing, as is anyone with a hobby of sorts.

I don't actually bodybuild anymore bud, as that is nonsensical at my age, but I still employ some of the exercises and routines from those days just to keep my strength up and the flab away!

Thanks again for the thoughts too bud
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 04:15 AM

Mart, that is quite weight-bearing workout managing that chair and I don't think anyone would disagree!
Follow that up with some cycling and I am sure you will feel very accomplished this time tomorrow.

OGF, like you, and with luck, they will probably bury me in running shoes. You sound like a textbook on how to bounce back after a heart event.

I had never really thought about the link between fitness and heart attack, injury, illness, and surgical recovery; but it makes perfect sense. While no one is immune, the people I know who have thrived after a heart attack (my dad among them) were very fit and active going in. I had a friend who recovered (and is out playing tennis daily) from an LAD heart attack, that his doctor said would have killed anyone else. He had his event ten years ago, and my dad's heart attack was twelve years ago.

The last time I was home, my dad (in his mid eighties) was two stories up on the roof of the house he had meticulously built thirty years ago, cutting out sections and modifying the eaves, soffit and joists to allow for a tree that was growing into the side of the house. Perhaps there is something to fitness...and not letting that birthday number get to you too much....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:09 AM

Trying times Floydy. Time and trials pass and I hope this time next week will see things looking up a bit. All the best.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:31 AM

I was called in to speak to the doctor yesterday .
It appears my cholesterol is on the high side .
As my diet is good ( except for the I glass of red wine daily ) he says I have to give my body two alcohol free days .
There remains only one solution to this problem EXERCISE !
Normally this is not a problem but I am a fair weather walker / rider / biker and the weather has been foul .
I now have to do 30 minutes of strenuous exercise a day .
He says you must exercise unlit you can't talk!
As I am quite skilled at talking even while riding my bike this sounds serious.
So came back from his office and went out on a brisk bike ride .
Mr M didn't feel like putting on he new saddle so now have a sore bum.
Right I have decided to go swimming once a week .
I hate with a passion the gym
Any other suggestions ?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

17-08-2017, 11:31 AM

A home exercise bike would do the job on days when cycling outside can't be done due to the weather. I think that's what I'd do. To stop that being a bit boring, maybe have a TV to watch while pedalling, or play some music that gives a rhythm to pedal by.

Do you have any off-road rugged land you could cycle on? So much nicer to get away from traffic if possible. The terrain is usually more testing too.

There are also those machines advertised on some of the TV channels. The ones where fit young people always have a smile on their faces while using them. I was watching some sort of 'twisting' exerciser being demonstrated. I'm not sure how effective they really are though, or if it's possible to keep grinning after a few minutes of twisting around.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:28 PM

Mart excercise machines are only good for hanging clothles on .
I don't mind the rough terrain once I get a comfortable saddle !
i also have to lose weight -not much as I am within the healthy limit band but must reduce to 1000-1500 a day

Well had my breakfast two toasts with butter ( and olive oil mix) and it comes to 314 calories that leaves me a measly 686 at the lower end for the rest of the day

Page 67 of 370 « First < 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top