Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Tagging, weighing and measuring.

What is this obsession with sticking tags on animals, removing them from their habitat, putting them in a bag to weigh them and generally fiddling with them. Why can't they just be left alone. I'm sure there are some cases where science needs to intervene to ensure the survival of a particular species but the scientists and TV presenters seem to be obsessed with disturbing wildlife.

There was an insect the other day who had a tag as big as itself, the wildlife expert said that the tag wouldn't bother it, well how does he know? The insect can't exactly tell him.

And then there's measuring everything in sight, what's that all about?

If the animals are there and they are healthy, I couldn't care less where they go so long as they are happy and left alone.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Re: Tagging, weighing and measuring.

Good grief!

Tagging an insect? I guess it might be interesting to see where it goes but how unpleasant.

I absolutely hate it when they dart animals and then stick great big collars on them.
Just because we can, doesn't mean that we should.

However, tagging a few undesirable people ... yeah ... DO IT
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Good grief!

Tagging an insect? I guess it might be interesting to see where it goes but how unpleasant.

I absolutely hate it when they dart animals and then stick great big collars on them.
Just because we can, doesn't mean that we should.

However, tagging a few undesirable people ... yeah ... DO IT
I don't mind that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 07:03 AM

How else do you know where they go or where they feed? there are lots of animals which are endangered and often we don't know why, tracking is one way of finding out. Likewise reintroduced species need to be tracked to see if the reintroduction was a success.

There are lots of reasons to track animals it is good science. Just a couple of examples:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-scientists-track-the-amazing-journey-of-a-great-white-shark/news-story/6e7bb7688bf06ff05d52bb28b6afd649

http://www.australiangeographic.com....a-world-first/.

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 07:35 AM

I am sure there are many good reasons for these tags, but why do we need to do it, when humans are the ones who disturb their habitats.
If there were no humans there would be no roads, no toxic waste, no dangerous traps, no killing for sport, no houses built which take much ground where the animals could shelter and live off the additional food that grows.

On another point, how would we feel if they put chips in all humans, at birth, so you could always be located. It may help in some cases, but how would we feel if we located family members in places we didn't want to find them?
Of course it could stop infidelity in couples though!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
i am sure there are many good reasons for these tags, but why do we need to do it, when humans are the ones who disturb their habitats.
If there were no humans there would be no roads, no toxic waste, no dangerous traps, no killing for sport, no houses built which take much ground where the animals could shelter and live off the additional food that grows.

On another point, how would we feel if they put chips in all humans, at birth, so you could always be located. It may help in some cases, but how would we feel if we located family members in places we didn't want to find them?
Of course it could stop infidelity in couples though!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

It's on its way. The only question is how far in the future.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
It's on its way. The only question is how far in the future.
I think I may become a divorce lawyer then, there could be some good money to be made.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top