Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:39 PM

Re: Let your MP know what you think

Twinky,I don't know yet whether you want us to post the content of our proposed letters on here.
May I suggest that we do, as it may offer ideas to each other of what to include? For that reason, I'd like to start the ball rolling.
I am not suggesting that we all write exact copies of each others' letters but I should be grateful, if anyone wishes to read mine, if they would offer any suggestions of whether I should change or add to the content.
Obviously, if you would rather I didn't do this, I shall be happy to delete this post immediately. Please let me know.

24 August 2017

Dear Mrs

I belong to an internet discussion group where we frequently discuss political matters and share our opinions. There have been some recent discussions where we are not fully aware of how our government is going to deal with some serious issues, so we decided the best way to find out was to write to our individual MPs and ask.
I am sure you will understand why these matters are of concern to us so we are writing to advise you of this, ask a few questions and, based on the replies you will send to us, hope to be able satisfy those concerns and allow us to discuss them further.
Your answers to our questions will obviously offer assistance on our future voting, so I and the other members of my group will appreciate knowing how the government, or its opposition, will deal with these matters.
The comments and questions are listed under the headings and I thank you in anticipation of your reply.

Yours sincerely

Your signature,

Immigration

When I voted to leave the EU in the Brexit referendum, one of the reasons was because I feared many more people from Africa and the Middle East would make their way to this country. As we are not a member of the Schengen group, I understand that it is not an automatic right of residents in other EU countries to live in the UK. There is, however, talk in the press of our allowing free movement from EU countries as part of the Brexit negotiations. Can you please confirm that this is the case?
Quite apart from that, we continue to admit many people from outside of the EU. Are there any controls on this form of immigration, and will more stringent restrictions be put in place after Brexit?

Terrorism

Jihadist terrorism activities are becoming more frequent throughout the EU, though not the East European members. I assume that this is because those countries strongly resist the admission of Muslim immigrants. Could you confirm that the UK government have no plans to put in place similar restrictions?
Quite apart from immigration, as I understand it there are now around 300,000 known radical Muslims already in the UK, of which there are roughly 3,000 on the 'watch list' and a few hundred trained jihadists. Could you please let me know what is being done with these people? Are any to be deported or interned for our protection? Even more worryingly, are we permitting the return of British Muslims who have travelled to the Middle East to fight for ISIS?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Good stuff JBR !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Good stuff JBR !
Please let me know if you'd change anything or add to it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Sounds good to me
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Sounds good to me
Thanks. I hope others post their ideas too.
As I said, we don't want to all say exactly the same thing, though, but I may have forgotten something important.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Here is a copy of my comments.

Immigration

1) We are often told that we need immigrants because they have skills to do jobs that our own people can’t. If that is the case why don’t we only allow those, who have a job to come to, into our country?
2) We do our fair share to assist people living overseas , so why do we allow ourselves to be pressured into taking more refugees, when many are not refugees but economic migrants?
3) We already have a social housing shortage for our own residents, so why should we allow more people in if they don’t have sufficient funds to purchase their own property?
4) Why can we not easily get rid of illegal immigrants and whose fault is it that we have so many?

In my opinion we don’t need any more immigrants, unless they can meet high standards, as they have to do in Australia. We are creating a country of poor people who need social housing, free education for their children and free health care… while those of us who pay for it in taxes and NI , find that waiting list get longer or we have to travel further! Isn’t it time that Britain started looking after it’s own people first?

Terrorism

!) I would be surprised if everybody isn’t concerned about this topic, but this leads me to wonder why we are not getting rid of radical Muslims who are currently in this country. Are the government suggesting that they are all here legally so cannot be removed from our country? I have spoken to people, who assure me that is not the case!
2) Why doesn’t the law say that anybody, who is involved with a terrorist organization that threaten lives of British people, can be removed from this country or confined in a secure prison?
3) I understand there is no death penalty in this country, but not all terrorist are suicide bombers. Those that aren’t, see taking innocent lives here as an easy option when all they get is prison, which probably offers better accommodation than their terrorist activities do! Why can’t we take a harder line with terrorists , seeing as they are an enemy?
4) Isn’t it time we placed greater restrictions on Mosques, where many radical teachings are taking place? Britain used to be a country to be proud of, but I am now ashamed to belong to a country that can’t remove terrorists or restrict all radical Muslim teaching.
The majority of Muslim countries do not allow churches in their countries, yet we allow Mosques on ours! I know lots of lovely Muslim people, so I am not racist, but I am not happy to invite more to our country when our government is so lax in restricting radical Islam behaviour!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-08-2017, 12:20 PM

I think that is far better than mine, Twinky. I hope you don't mind if I paraphrase some of those and include them in mine.

I look forward to others adding their compositions and, when we have sufficient numbers, perhaps we can agree when to submit our letters en masse.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=Twink55;1218101]Hello, This is the thread where I will post a template of a letter to send to your MP. You will need to copy and paste it on to your own computer and type, under the headings, your opinions and questions.

I agree with contacting your MP but why not go and speak to him/her? Surely s/he has an office in your electorate where he will be when parliament is not sitting?

My local federal MP has an office few blocks from me and I often drop in to get some photocopying done for some organisations I volunteer for. If I have a gripe about a federal issue I tell him about it and we discuss it; usually I write as well to confirm what we talked about.

He is often at the local shopping mall having coffee and doesn't mind a chat. Let's face parliament only sits about 200 days a year so MPs spend a lot of time at home in their electorate. Just look at your MPs web page eg:

http://www.stephenjones.org.au/contact

The State MP likewise though I don't get photocopying done at her office (smaller budget I guess)

https://annawatson.com.au/contact/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think that is far better than mine, Twinky. I hope you don't mind if I paraphrase some of those and include them in mine.

I look forward to others adding their compositions and, when we have sufficient numbers, perhaps we can agree when to submit our letters en masse.
People can use the things I have said, if they think they are right, as the main reason for posting my comments was to encourage those, who don't often write to their MP, to say exactly what they think.
Many people find it difficult to write to those in authority, but I often do so and I want our voting public to have ability, in telling the government, if they think they are wrong.
If we don't our MPs well assume that they are doing what we want them to do.... and often they are not!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2017, 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce;1218981]
Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Hello, This is the thread where I will post a template of a letter to send to your MP. You will need to copy and paste it on to your own computer and type, under the headings, your opinions and questions.

I agree with contacting your MP but why not go and speak to him/her? Surely s/he has an office in your electorate where he will be when parliament is not sitting?

My local federal MP has an office few blocks from me and I often drop in to get some photocopying done for some organisations I volunteer for. If I have a gripe about a federal issue I tell him about it and we discuss it; usually I write as well to confirm what we talked about.

He is often at the local shopping mall having coffee and doesn't mind a chat. Let's face parliament only sits about 200 days a year so MPs spend a lot of time at home in their electorate. Just look at your MPs web page eg:

http://www.stephenjones.org.au/contact

The State MP likewise though I don't get photocopying done at her office (smaller budget I guess)

https://annawatson.com.au/contact/
Bruce this is a constant point of annoyance with me.
My MP does not hold surgeries
Its a disgrace and i have complained about it many times .
now you have mentioned it again i intend to write to the local paper and bring it to their attention once again.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top