I didn't vote but would have voted leave 0 0%
I didn't vote but would have voted remain 2 4.76%
Undecided 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Would you vote differently now?

If you knew then what you know now about The Government's plans for Brexit and what information we were given before the Referendum would you have voted the same way?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 06:26 PM

Re: Would you vote differently now?

No because I predicted this shambles which is why i voted remain. There was such a concerted effort by the media that if i didn't know what i do about economics and the way markets operate i too would have been swayed. I knew there was no plan. But my leave voting friends were more interested in immigration and the 350m for the nhs.

I heard from a journalist friend that it was all a media conspiracy by some fat cats to make money. That's why the media have turned neutral now. He heard this at some conference. Not sure we will ever know what really happened but imo voters were conned.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 06:50 PM

I would still vote to leave the EU the same as I did last year and in 1975 .
Having lost the vote in 75' I don't remember any temper tantrums and stamping of feet from those of us forced to remain in the Common Market.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 07:07 PM

I voted to leave and I should definitely vote the same way again.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 07:07 PM

We, along with many others, were not allowed to vote, but we would have voted to remain. There were many reasons we would have voted remain, one being that most of our adult lives have been spent within the EU, as I suspect others on this forum have too. Within the EU we had opportunities to travel European countries with very little hassle. Many people moved to other European countries for work, many started their own businesses without all the red tape that was previously necessary. There are too many reasons to list here.

It was also very obvious that immigration was top of the list, no matter how many people deny it. It was also obvious that they were thinking all the none Europeans came into the equation, although I´m sure that will be denied too.

I personally feel that coming out of the EU has taken away many opportunities for, not only the current working generation, but for the youngsters now growing up. They will now be an isolated generation without the opportunities of other European youngsters.

Of course I could be wrong, but that´s how I see the situation right now. The days when Britain could stand alone have long since gone, I very much doubt they will return. So yes given the chance to vote last time, or again, I would vote remain. I´m only glad that my working days are over and I no longer have to make my way in the world.

I´m not ticking the above poll, that would be wrong, but just having a say.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Within the EU we had opportunities to travel European countries with very little hassle.
As had I before we were even a member of the EEC, never mind the EU.

Many people moved to other European countries for work, many started their own businesses without all the red tape that was previously necessary. There are too many reasons to list here.
As far as I am aware, we shall still be able to work in other non-EU countries with a minimum of red tape, providing that our skills are required by them. I am sure that many countries will be crying out for use and our skills. I have no doubt that the same will be the case with EU countries. We shall see.

It was also very obvious that immigration was top of the list, no matter how many people deny it.
Immigration was certainly an important factor in my decision to vote out. Why deny it? I do, however, realise that we are entitled to deny anyone entry whether in or out of the EU and, therefore, the issue of immigration is irrelevant

I personally feel that coming out of the EU has taken away many opportunities for, not only the current working generation, but for the youngsters now growing up. They will now be an isolated generation without the opportunities of other European youngsters.
Isolated? You mean that they will be unable to travel or work in other countries outside of the EU? I very much doubt that. I also believe that other EU countries will welcome Brits with the necessary qualifications or skills to work in their country.

The days when Britain could stand alone have long since gone, I very much doubt they will return.
Why? We have stood alone before. Just because we will not be in the EU do you really think we will fail to survive? In any event, we have never 'stood alone'. We have always been a trading nation and have worked with other nations worldwide for our mutual benefit.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Immigration was the top of my list Clumsy, I don't mind saying it. Not immigrants themselves, Britain has always welcomed Immigrants, my Mum and Dad were two who came from Southern Ireland to work in the Munitions Factories during the war,
Press forward and it is the present sheer numbers that were and still are coming in and affecting jobs, housing, education and the NHS in all quarters that made me decide to vote to leave. I believe that Merkel inviting almost another million into Europe was the start of this madness. No words of regret from her lips will atone for the damage she has done, pretty soon those same one million will be in possession of a Euro Citizen card and be able to simply walk into the UK where many of them wanted to be, due to the myth the streets are paved with gold.

Once they are here and commit a crime, we can't even deport them thanks to smart-ass Immigration Lawyers and the ECHR, and before someone tells me the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU, it was the creation of the EU and works towards the full integration of States, a definite NO NO as far as I am concerned. Forever dictating and overruling our own Supreme Court decisions and treating the UK as an insignificant, nonentity country.

The bureaucratic red tape inflicted on our small businesses here. especially those who don't even have dealings with the EU has been a nightmare.
The EU has interfered in every single facet of the lives of British citizens and not for the better. The vast amount of monies demanded in order to enrich the lives of every other EU member state has made life harder for everyone here except the rich.

My decision though, was made when Turkey demanded that in order to stop migrants crossing, he wanted the right for all of his citizens to travel freely within Europe. Instead of hearing the word..... Never, we heard everyone in the EU instead humming and haaaing over the decision.

I believe that was when my decision was made/
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Immigration was the top of my list Clumsy, I don't mind saying it. Not immigrants themselves, Britain has always welcomed Immigrants, my Mum and Dad were two who came from Southern Ireland to work in the Munitions Factories during the war,
Press forward and it is the present sheer numbers that were and still are coming in and affecting jobs, housing, education and the NHS in all quarters that made me decide to vote to leave. I believe that Merkel inviting almost another million into Europe was the start of this madness. No words of regret from her lips will atone for the damage she has done, pretty soon those same one million will be in possession of a Euro Citizen card and be able to simply walk into the UK where many of them wanted to be, due to the myth the streets are paved with gold.

Once they are here and commit a crime, we can't even deport them thanks to smart-ass Immigration Lawyers and the ECHR, and before someone tells me the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU, it was the creation of the EU and works towards the full integration of States, a definite NO NO as far as I am concerned. Forever dictating and overruling our own Supreme Court decisions and treating the UK as an insignificant, nonentity country.

The bureaucratic red tape inflicted on our small businesses here. especially those who don't even have dealings with the EU has been a nightmare.
The EU has interfered in every single facet of the lives of British citizens and not for the better. The vast amount of monies demanded in order to enrich the lives of every other EU member state has made life harder for everyone here except the rich.

My decision though, was made when Turkey demanded that in order to stop migrants crossing, he wanted the right for all of his citizens to travel freely within Europe. Instead of hearing the word..... Never, we heard everyone in the EU instead humming and haaaing over the decision.

I believe that was when my decision was made/
I agree with you completely over Merkel's stupidity, and quite frankly I believe she should be on charges of treason to her country, strangely enough, or maybe not, many of our German neighbours feel the same.

However I still feel the UK is making a big mistake leaving Europe. I doubt the youngers now growing up will be happy to wait until they are middle aged or older before they can reap any benefits, if there are any of course.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 09:45 PM

I would still vote the same way. I don't think people were conned, I think people were quite able to make up their own minds, on numerous issues.

Had the vote led to Remain, would it be said that those voters had been conned, as the media were definitely pro-Europe all through the debates on leaving, and it certainly gave them all a mighty shock ? The media did their level best to influence us into staying within the EU.

If anything influenced the Brexit vote, it was outside interference, from Obama, Merkel, Junker and numerous others that planted the fear factor. However, I did not hear anything about the positives for us staying in the EU, and to be truthful still nobody has given us any. Only negatives of what will happen now.,
Well I'm positive and it's a shame that so many would like to see our country descend into the doldrums just to prove a point and rub their hands together whilst making judgement on everyone else's ability to vote for what they believe in, or as Shropshiregirl says all the things we didn't want dictated to us.. (good post Shropshiregirl. Hit the nail on the head , although immigration was not on my agenda)
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I would still vote to leave the EU the same as I did last year and in 1975 .
Having lost the vote in 75' I don't remember any temper tantrums and stamping of feet from those of us forced to remain in the Common Market.

I think it would have been the same this time if the Remain camp had won - no point in crying over spilled milk.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top